Islam/Swears

Question
QUESTION: As'Salaam'o'Aliekum Brother,
I have violated many swears during my teenage time. I never offered the kuffara for them and believe today my misery is to due to this. Brother I swore upon the Quran, I swore upon Allah, I swore upon my paradise, I swore upon my faith and broke all my swears. Now I don't remember how many times I did this but it was in a count of many. Brother what should I do now in order to be forgiven? Please help. Jazak'allah kher.

ANSWER: Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Rahim (In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful)

Assalmalaikum

Dear Brother,

Do not worry...just read as below.

breaking promise/oath
--------------------

[Baqara 2:224 And make not Allah/God's (name) an excuse in your oaths against doing good, or acting rightly, or making peace between persons; for Allah/God is One Who hears and Knows all things.

[Baqara 2:225 Allah/God will not call you to account for thoughtlessness in your oaths, but for the intention in your hearts; and He is Oft-forgiving, Most Forbearing.

[17:34] And come not near to the orphan's property except to improve it, until he attains the age of full strength. And fulfill (every) covenant. Verily, the covenant will be questioned about.

[5:89] Allah will not call you to account for what is futile in your oaths, but He will call you to account for your deliberate oaths: for expiation, feed ten indigent persons, on a scale of the average for the food of your families; or clothe them; or give a slave his freedom. If that is beyond your means, fast for three days. That is the expiation for the oaths you have sworn. But keep to your oaths. Thus doth Allah make clear to you His Signs, that you may be grateful.

[2:225] Allah will not call you to account for thoughtlessness in your oaths, but for the intention in your hearts, and He is Oft-Forgiving, Most Forbearing.

Muwatta Book 022, Hadith Number 011.
-----------------------------
Section : Oaths for Which Kaffara is Obligatory.

Yahya related to me from Malik from Suhayl ibn Abi Salih from his father from Abu Hurayra that the Messenger of Allah, may Allah bless him and grant him peace, said, "Whoever makes an oath and then sees that something else would be better than it, should do kaffara for his oath and do what is better."

Yahya said that he heard Malik say, "Anyone who says that he has a vow but does not mention the name of Allah, is still obliged to make the kaffara for an oath (if he breaks it)".

Malik said, "Emphasis is when a man swears one thing several times, repeating the oath in his speech time after time. For instance, the statement, 'By Allah, I will not decrease it from such-and-such,' sworn three times or more. The kaffara of that is like the kaffara of one oath. If a man swears, 'I will not eat this food or wear these clothes or enter this house,' that is all in one oath, and he is only obliged to do one kaffara. It is the same for a man who says to his wife, 'You are divorced if I clothe you in this garment or let you go to the mosque,' and it is one entire statement in the normal pattern of speech. If he breaks any of that oath, divorce is necessary, and there is no breaking of oath after that in whatever he does. There is only one oath to be broken in that."

Malik said, "What we do about a woman who makes a vow without her husband's permission is that she is allowed to do so and she must fulfil it, if it only concerns her own person and will not harm her husband. If, however, it will harm her husband, he may forbid her to fulfil it, but it remains an obligation against her until she has the opportunity to complete it."

Swearing other than Allah is not Permitted and is shirk
----------------------------------------------------

Shahih Bukhari Vol 3, Book 48. Witnesses. Hadith 844.
-------------------
Narrated By Abdullah : The Prophet said, "Whoever has to take an oath should swear by Allah or remain silent." (i.e. He should not swear by other than Allah.)

Shahih Bukhari Vol 5, Book 58. Merits Of The Helpers In Madinah (Ansaar). Hadith 177.
-------------------
Narrated By 'Umar : The Prophet said, "If anybody has to take an oath, he should swear only by Allah." The people of Quraish used to swear by their fathers, but the Prophet said, "Do not swear by your fathers."

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Its my duty to help those in need. You are free to ask as many questions as you like.

If you are not convinced or feel the answer did not address all your questions, pls write back immediately without any hesitation. Please do forgive me if there is an unexpected delay in replying.

rg
Ahmer

Pls spare some time and see these small video clips.

hijab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg3C1WpX3N8

which is the best religion - how to identify the true scripture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIcl0ZAF6ZU

why is islam the best religion - 15point explanation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atOexGJC88U

love affairs & Islam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xAj7Aeg-w

Riba
http://www.dailymotion.com/islamnatural

( Note: I am not a mufti, if you are in doubt or want 100% accuracy please verify the above hadith with an authentic personality. However I have not altered any hadith and presented it as and how it was found. May Allah forgive our mistakes from time to time...ameen.)

QUESTION: As'Salaam'o'Aliekum Brother,
You informed me of this hadith:

Shahih Bukhari Vol 3, Book 48. Witnesses. Hadith 844. Narrated By Abdullah,  The Prophet said, "Whoever has to take an oath should swear by Allah or remain silent." (i.e. He should not swear by other than Allah.)

Brother I recently swore upon the Quran that I wiould never smoke again. As soon as I read your answer and this hadith, I immediately went out and bought a pack of cigarettes and smoked again. But now I am in doubt that maybe my swearing upon the Quran was valid. But I have broken the swear. Do I have to offer kuffara as I did not swear upon Allah but I swore upon the Quran? If I have to offer kuffara how should I do it? Please help. Jazak'Allah Kher brother.

Answer
its best you do Kaffara and in future only swear in the name of Allah alone.

Regards/Ahmer

Islam

Ahmer