Islam/Question about poisoning story.

Question
Salam,

I have a question in my mind that is seriously bothering me. I have red somewhere in hadith that a jewish woman tried to poison the prophet (PBUH). Can you explain this? I am finding difficulty in understanding it. Several people say that a jewish woman tried to poison the Prophet (PBUH) and he passed away from the consequences and affects of the poison. I am dividing my questions into four parts so that you may find it easy to answer the question:-

Question 1: Allah says in the Quran: O Messenger (Muhammad )! Proclaim (the Message) which has been sent down to you from your Lord. And if you do not, then you have not conveyed His Message. Allah will protect you from mankind. Verily, Allah guides not the people who disbelieve. We can clearly see that Quran says that Allah will Protect Prophet (PBUH) from all of these types of plots, then how can a jewish woman poison the Prophet (PBUH) in a cunning way? Quran seems to be clear on this issue.

Question 2: Moreover, if we look at the narration, we will find that Prophet (PBUH) himself said that Allah will never give power to her in what she intended to do:- Anas reported that a Jewess came to Allah's Messenger (may peace be upon him) with poisoned mutton and he took of that what had been brought to him (Allah's Messenger). (When the effect of this poison were felt by him) he called for her and asked her about that, whereupon she said: I had determined to kill you. Thereupon he said: Allah will never give you the power to do it. He (the narrator) said that they (the Companion's of the Holy Prophet) said: Should we not kill her? Thereupon he said: No. He (Anas) said: I felt (the affects of this poison) on the uvula of Allah's Messenger. (Sahih Muslim, Book 026, Number 5430) In the above hadith we can clearly see Prophet (PBUH) saying "Allah will never give you the power to do it." My question is: Since we Muslims believe that each and every word of Prophet is absolute truth,  then how can poison affect him?

Question 3: Some narrations say that Prophet (PBUH) died from fever. This is different from this poisoning story. Which one is correct?

Question 4: Jewish woman tried to test the Prophet that if he (PBUH) was a true Prophet then the poison would not harm him. Prophet said, "Allah will never give you the power to do it." Then how can poison affect him? All of these questions are causing serious doubts in my mind and compelling me to reject those hadiths which say that Prophet (PBUH) was ever poisoned. Please pray for my guidance and your early reply will be highly appreciated.

Answer
Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Rahim (In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful)

Assalmalaikum

Dear Brother,

An excellent argument. Indeed what you are saying is true that despite Allah's command to protect the Prophet from such evil...how can he die from the effects of poisoning.

Trust me I really do not pay attention to those hadiths whome I find contradicting with the ayats of the Quran.

Its the ayats of the quran that are important to us as they were revealed with 100% truth and are recorded with 100% truth.

Therefore you are free to go ahead and shun such hadiths and no longer take it into acceptance. However such hadith are not a matter of concern for us as they are not directives over the religious laws but are providing an insight over history.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Its my duty to help those in need. You are free to ask as many questions as you like.

If you are not convinced or feel the answer did not address all your questions, pls write back immediately without any hesitation. Please do forgive me if there is an unexpected delay in replying.

rg
Ahmer

Pls spare some time and see these small video clips.

hijab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg3C1WpX3N8

which is the best religion - how to identify the true scripture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIcl0ZAF6ZU

why is islam the best religion - 15point explanation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atOexGJC88U

love affairs & Islam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xAj7Aeg-w

Riba
http://www.dailymotion.com/islamnatural

( Note: I am not a mufti, if you are in doubt or want 100% accuracy please verify the above hadith with an authentic personality. However I have not altered any hadith and presented it as and how it was found. May Allah forgive our mistakes from time to time...ameen.)

Islam

Ahmer