Islam/Riba description on Wikipedia

QUESTION: Salamualaikum

I went onto Wikipedia to find out more about Riba and I came across this statement "There are two types of riba discussed by Islamic jurists: an increase in capital without any services provided and speculation (Maisir"

Now this statement is saying essentially saying that gambling is a type of Riba. Now I know that gambling is prohibited in the Quran but the Quran gives no indication that gambling is a type of Riba.

My questions is how can based on this article can Islamic Jurists claim that gambling is a type of Riba, and if so based on what evidence from the Quran and authentic hadiths.

I hope to hear from you

Abdul Ahmed

ANSWER: Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Rahim (In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful)

Dear Brother,

Wikipedia is sometimes disputed over its authenticity. However Riba (USURY) and Maysir (Gambling) are both banned in islam.

Riba is like selling a 20 dollar note for 21 or 22 (with the pretext of paying back in installments - although the defined monetory value of 20 Dollar note is 20 Dollar) and gambling is a legal form of cheating where wealth of all go into one pocket and is a one sided game.

[Quran 5:90] O you who believe! Khamr (INTOXICANTS), Maysir (GAMBLING), Ansab (DEDICATION OF STONES), and Azlam (DIVINATION BY ARROWS)are a Rijs (abomination) of Shaytan's handiwork. So avoid that in order that you may be successful.

[Quran 5:91] Shaytan wants only to excite enmity and hatred between you with Khamr (INTOXICANTS) and Maysir (GAMBLING), and hinder you from the remembrance of Allah and from the Salah (PRAYER). So, will you not then abstain.

[Quran Surah Baqara 2:219] They ask you concerning Khamr (INTOXICANTS) and Maysir (GAMBLING). Say: "In them is great sin, and some profit, for men; but the sin is greater than the profit." They ask you how much they are to spend; Say: "What is beyond your needs." Thus does Allah/God Make clear to you His Signs: In order that you may consider-

Its my duty to help those in need. You are free to ask as many questions as you like.

If you are not convinced or feel the answer did not address all your questions, pls write back immediately without any hesitation. Please do forgive me if there is an unexpected delay in replying.

Pls spare some time and see these small video clips.

which is the best religion - how to identify the true scripture

why is islam the best religion - 15point explanation

love affairs & Islam

( Note: I am not a mufti, if you are in doubt or want 100% accuracy please verify the above hadith with an authentic personality. However I have not altered any hadith and presented it as and how it was found. May Allah forgive our mistakes from time to time...ameen.)

QUESTION: Salamulaikum

Yes brother I already know these verses and know that gambling is haram, my question was why this Wikipedia website said that Islamic jurists label gambling as Riba. Gambling is haram yes but no where in the Quran is gambling labeled as Riba, so my question was why this Wikipedia website says that Islamic jurists say that Gambling is a form of Riba. What's your take on this?

There are two types of riba discussed by Islamic jurists: an increase in capital without any services provided and speculation (Maisir), which is prohibited by the Qur'an, and commodity exchanges in unequal quantities, also prohibited in the Qur'an. ( Wikipedia)

I believe - The above statement is for thinkers/jurists of literature and not for a commoner. Therefore I cannot put much into this topic.

Solutions strictly from the Quran and the authentic Hadiths. ****** website ****** Do pose your questions and see the difference in our answers.

Preaching Islam since childhood, and further gained commanding knowledge of almost every affairs of the religion though authentic books and attending lectures by notable scholars of Islam

Bachelors degree in Commerce, Diploma in Electronics Engg.