Islam/abusive mother

Question
my father died when i was of few months.. my mother was the only one to take care of me. she came back to her parent's home. after some time, she became so aggressive abusive and violent that she used to fight with her own parents and siblings..and of course after that doing all this..i was always the next target. she beat me with hangers and also with the shoes to insult me.. as she always told me why she was doing so. even now, as i am grown up, she abuses me and always complain about me.
i have still not got over the childhood i got. she calls me a psycho. i  forgot how to react normally, and i guess, i have also become like her. the painful memories of the childhood have overcome my life.
what should i do? how should i treat her? she is just impossible and my mental condition is not up to the mark as well. kindly help.

Answer
Peace to you!

Dear Roshni,

Thanks for your message. My heart was aching as I read about your horrible experiences. You are asking what you should do.

Firstly, you need to change your thoughts. Do not believe what your mother says about you! You are created by God and as such you are dearly loved by him. The suffering you endure can only be coped with if you know someone loves you dearly and one day they will take you to a place where there is no more pain. That someone does exist. It is God, your Creator and Sustainer. In the Injeel, the last book before the Quran, we read:

Revelation 21:1–7

Then I saw “a new heaven and a new earth,”  for the first heaven and the first earth had passed away, and there was no longer any sea. I saw the Holy City, the new Jerusalem, coming down out of heaven from God, prepared as a bride beautifully dressed for her husband. And I heard a loud voice from the throne saying, “Look! God’s dwelling place is now among the people, and he will dwell with them. They will be his people, and God himself will be with them and be their God. ‘He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death’  or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
He who was seated on the throne said, “I am making everything new!” Then he said, “Write this down, for these words are trustworthy and true.”
He said to me: “It is done. I am the Alpha and the Omega, the Beginning and the End. To the thirsty I will give water without cost from the spring of the water of life. Those who are victorious will inherit all this, and I will be their God and they will be my children.'

I strongly advice you to find out how to become one of God's children. How should you treat your mother? Be merciful to her since she has become a victim of circumstances herself. Treat her kindly. This will only be possible with God's help.  

As clearly mentioned in my description, I am a follower of Jesus according to the Bible and my expertise is ONLY in answering questions Muslims have regarding Jesus, the Injeel, Zabur, Torah, how to get forgiveness, or the perspective of followers of Jesus on questions Muslims ask.

The reason for me being in the Islam section is that Muslims usually learn about Christianity from Muslims. That is bad academic scholarship and leads to great misunderstandings. If you have a question about an illness you go to a medical doctor not to someone who has a PhD in computing. Similarly, if you have a question about Christianity you must go to a follower of Jesus not to a Muslim. I am here to conveniently offer the removal of misunderstandings. Here is a brief summary of two of the most common ones that may have arisen due to an isolated minority cult that has never represented mainline Christian teachings:

“Jesus is the son of God.” The Bible does not teach that Jesus is the physical son of God. That would be blasphemy. The term, ‘Son’ is to be understood in a spiritual sense, like in, ‘a son of the road’ (=a frequent traveler who knows the roads inside out). For more details please visits Christian websites such as: http://www.christianityexplained.net/explainedto/muslims/12.html
“Christians believe in three gods and Mary is one of them.” The Bible does not teach such blasphemy. The correct teaching is that there is only one, unique God. For more details see: http://www.christianityexplained.net/explainedto/muslims/11.html

If you wish to learn more about the main message of the Holy Bible, I do offer an e-mail correspondence course on it. The first lesson explores what the Quran says about the Torah and Injeel and whether they are still reliable. Would you like to do this study?

Please do not hesitate to contact me if I can be of further help in any of the above.

Sincerely,

A. Abraham

Islam

A. Abraham