Islam/land - law

Question
QUESTION: Hello sir i heard that in islam a hadees says one must follow the law of land.

Can you explain me this hadees ?

My land law currently permits me to drink alcohol .. so can i do it ?

or i must not do it as it contradicts islam ?

What if a law of land contradicts islam like for ex : A divorce proceeding according to islam is very different from a divorce proceeding in my country.

But in such case one have a choice to follow to Islamism law or country law. The country law however contradicts the proceeding of divorce according to islam.

so should i follow islamic law or country law ? if i chose to follow country law .. am i sinful ? as i have choice to follow islamic law but i am not doing it.

and if i can follow country law and i am not sin fun then how am i sinful if i drink alcohol.? as that is the same case.

Please note : Both of the country laws dose not force(divorce and alcohol ) me to follow them.. i can chose to follow them if i want to and both of them contradicts islam

ANSWER: Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Rahim (In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful)

Assalmalaikum

Dear Brother,

Every muslim is supposed to follow the laws of the Quran - which are laws made by Allah and is 100% true and correct. In case the law of the land does not contradict the laws of the Quran - one can follow the law of the land.

Since you have an option to follow the law of the Quran - you should follow it.

[Ale Imran 3:81] Behold! Allah/God took the covenant of the prophets, saying: "I give you a Book and Wisdom; then comes to you an apostle, confirming what is with you; do you believe in him and render him help." Allah/God said: "Do you agree, and take this my Covenant as bi nding on you?" They said: "We agree." He said: "Then bear witness, and I am with you among the witnesses."

[Ale Imran 3:82] If any turn back after this, they are perverted transgressors.

[Ale Imran 3:83] Do they seek for other than the Religion of Allah/God?-while all creatures in the heavens and on earth have, willing or unwilling, bowed to His Will (Accepted Islam), and to Him shall they all be brought back

[Nisa 4:13] Those are limits set by Allah/God: those who obey Allah/God and His Apostle will be admitted to Gardens with rivers flowing beneath, to abide therein (for ever) and that will be the supreme achievement.

[Nisa 4:14] But those who disobey Allah/God and His Apostle and transgress His limits will be admitted to a Fire, to abide therein: And they shall have a humiliating punishment.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Its my duty to help those in need. You are free to ask as many questions as you like.

If you are not convinced or feel the answer did not address all your questions, pls write back immediately without any hesitation. Please do forgive me if there is an unexpected delay in replying.

rg
Ahmer

Pls spare some time and see these small video clips.

hijab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg3C1WpX3N8

which is the best religion - how to identify the true scripture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIcl0ZAF6ZU

why is islam the best religion - 15point explanation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atOexGJC88U

love affairs & Islam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xAj7Aeg-w

Riba
http://www.dailymotion.com/islamnatural

( Note: I am not a mufti, if you are in doubt or want 100% accuracy please verify the above hadith with an authentic personality. However I have not altered any hadith and presented it as and how it was found. May Allah forgive our mistakes from time to time...ameen.)

QUESTION: Thanks a lot for help. So till now we have concluded that

We must follow law of islam and we can follow the law of land if that dose not contradict islam

If it contradict islam.. we must follow the islamic laws. But if we are forced to follow the country law.. then we can.

BUT when we have a option of country law and islamic law and country law contradicts Islamic law .. we have to follow the islamic law as we are not forced to follow the country law.

Ok.. Here is the case.

When a husband and wife are married according to Islam (i,e) sharia law and not country law.

and when wife is cruel to husband and making his life a living hell the husbands wants divorce.

He wants to divorce the wife according to Islamic law..but the wife wants to divorce by country law.

And the country law contradicts the Islamic way of divorce.. and the wife have a complete choice to follow the Islamic or she can also follow country law.. and she chose to follow the country law which states that

Even if the wife is cruel to husband,Or even if wife walks out on husband or divorce him or even if divorce happened due the the fault of wife

she can on divorce claim 1/3 of husbands salary till she remarry. And if she chose to not remarry.. this will go on till death.. i.e husband will pay 33% of his salary to his ex-wife who abused him for the rest of his life.

This way of divorce is in direct contradiction of Islamic divorce.

But on the other hand.. the country also states that a wife can chose to follow the country law or islamic law according to her will..

so she is "not forced" to follow the country law ..

she can also follow the islamic law if she "chose" to follow it.

and the country law is in direct contradiction of islamic law.

So in such cases.. where husband wants a divorce by Islamic law and wife divorced him by country law and is taking his money  .. is she sinful ?

please note : That in alcohol case also and in divorce case also.. Both of them contradicts Islam and in both cases one has a choice to follow it or not.. they are not forced to follow it.

Answer
Whoever is not following Islamic law will be sinfull.

Islamic law is made by Allah/God and is superior to all the laws of the earth. Its mandatory for every muslim to follow the laws of Allah in the first place. In the absence of any Islamic law - one is free to follow any other set of rules.

So here if your wife choses the law of the land over the superior Islamic law - she will be sinning for the rest of her life.

[Baqara 2:81] Nay, those who seek gain in evil, and are girt round by their sins,- they are companions of the Fire: Therein shall they abide (For ever).

[Baqara 2:82] But those who have faith and work righteousness, they are companions of the Garden: Therein shall they abide (For ever).

[Baqara 2:83] And remember We took a covenant from the Children of Israel (to this effect): Worship none but Allah/God; treat with kindness your parents and kindred, and orphans and those in need; speak fair to the people; be steadfast in prayer; and practise reg ular charity. Then did you turn back, except a few among you, and you backslide (even now).

[Baqara 2:84] And remember We took your covenant (to this effect): Shed no blood amongst you, nor turn out your own people from your homes: and this you solemnly ratified, and to this you can bear witness.

[Baqara 2:85] After this it is ye, the same people, who slay among yourselves, and banish a party of you from their homes; assist (Their enemies) against them, in guilt and rancour; and if they come to you as captives, you ransom them, though it was not lawf ul for you to banish them. Then is it only a part of the Book that you believe in, and do you reject the rest? but what is the reward for those among you who behave like this but disgrace in this life?- and on the Day of Judgment they shall be consigned t o the most grievous penalty. For Allah/God is not unmindful of what you do.

[Baqara 2:86] These are the people who buy the life of this world at the price of the Hereafter: their penalty shall not be lightened nor shall they be helped.

Regards
Ahmer

Islam

Ahmer