Islam/A question about law.

Question
QUESTION: I am a student at The Ohio State University in America. I have been trying to find some answers on the internet and I just can't find anything.

There is a class about Islamic studies. I am in the class across the hall. Everyday I see a Muslim woman go into that class that I am very attracted to. She has always been covered up, but has a very beautiful face.

She came to class the other day for the first time NOT covered up. She was dressed in tight fitting clothes and has beautiful hair. After class, I was walking back to my car. If you go out the side door, there is a short cut path that leads to the parking lot where we park our cars.

There was a Muslim man, I think it was her boyfriend but I'm not sure. He was yelling and screaming at her until he saw me coming and then he left. She was crying and I asked her if she was OK. She told me yes and I walked her to the cafeteria.

I told her that if he physically abuses her in any way, to let me know and I will call the authorities. In America, it is a law that you cannot hit somebody. I have heard that if a Muslim woman exposes herself in public, that a man can hit her?

Is this true? When Muslims are in America, what trumps, American law or Muslim law?

If they understand our laws and don't want to live by them, why do they come here?

I am not a violent person, I believe in peace. BUT, if I see ANY man hit a WOMAN who is smaller and can't defend herself, I will step in to defend her ANYTIME!

Any information would be helpful. And please don't tell me to mind my own business. AGAIN, anytime a woman is being mistreated and I am around, it is my strong belief to defend her no matter what and to call the police.

ANSWER: Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Rahim (In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful)

Assalmalaikum

Dear Brother,

I really appreciate your effort in counseling the young lady. Indeed Allah/God will reward you for the concern you have for a good human.

Its not right that a person violates somebody's dignity by yelling and screaming. If she is mature enough to understand and differentiate between right and wrong, she is the one who is supposed to decide her future path/actions. However a person can guide and direct people based on what the Quran instructs...but that has to be done in the best of words.

[Nisa 4:85] Whoever recommends/intercede and helps a good cause becomes a partner therein: And whoever recommends and helps an evil cause, shares in its burden: And Allah/God has power over all things.

[Quran 17:53] And say to My slaves that they should (only) say those words that are the best. (Because) Shaitan (Satan) verily, sows disagreements among them. Surely, Shaitan (Satan) is to man an open enemy.

As for your 2nd Question...Islamic laws are superior to any man-made laws. Therefore a muslim is always abound by the laws of the Quran. If any man-made law interfers with the laws of Quran...its not obligatory for the muslim to follow the man-made law.

But if you read the Quran, you will certainly praise the laws that God has made. Its balanced and straight and applies for each and every individual whether rich or poor.

Please continue to defend people with upright character. May Allah reward you for your good deeds.

Quran [33:59] O Prophet, tell your wives and daughters and the believing women that they should cast their outer garments over their bodies (when abroad) so that they should be known and not molested"

Quran [24:30] Say to the believing men that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty: that will make for greater purity for them: and Allah is well acquainted with all that they do.

Quran [24:31] And say to the believing women that they should lower their gaze and guard their modesty; that they should not display their beauty and ornaments except what (must ordinarily) appear thereof; that they should draw their veils over their bosoms and not display their beauty except to their husbands, their fathers, their husbands' fathers, their sons, their husbands' sons, their brothers or their brothers' sons, or their sisters' sons, or their women, or the slaves whom their right hands possess, or male servants free of physical needs, or small children who have no sense of the shame of sex; and that they should not strike their feet in order to draw attention to their hidden ornaments. And O you Believers! turn you all together towards Allah, that you may attain Bliss.

--------------------------------------------------------------------

Its my duty to help those in need. You are free to ask as many questions as you like.

If you are not convinced or feel the answer did not address all your questions, pls write back immediately without any hesitation. Please do forgive me if there is an unexpected delay in replying.

rg
Ahmer

Pls spare some time and see these small video clips.

hijab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg3C1WpX3N8

which is the best religion - how to identify the true scripture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIcl0ZAF6ZU

why is islam the best religion - 15point explanation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atOexGJC88U

love affairs & Islam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xAj7Aeg-w

Riba
http://www.dailymotion.com/islamnatural

( Note: I am not a mufti, if you are in doubt or want 100% accuracy please verify the above hadith with an authentic personality. However I have not altered any hadith and presented it as and how it was found. May Allah forgive our mistakes from time to time...ameen.)

QUESTION: First off, Thank You for the honest answer. I am TRYING to understand.

I still feel that my questions have not been answered. Let me ask it in a different way.

Is there ANY circumstance (according to Islam) where it is acceptable for a man to physically hit/abuse a woman, other than self-defense?

In America many of us feel that our laws are WAY ABOVE any religious laws. So who is right? I can have someone arrested and put in prison. Muslims would have NO right to say otherwise, here. Again, if this is a problem, why do Muslims come here? Why not stay in the country where those laws are upheld?

In Columbus there are several students who claim to be Muslim, yet they drink alcohol and do drugs and look for sex. Are you saying these people are not really Muslim? How many times can one go against those principles and still be forgiven?

Can there be any repercussions for leaving the religion of Islam? What are they if any?

Just so we understand each other, I DO NOT believe in ANY religion. I believe in common sense. That is the way that guides me.

Last year in the cafeteria there was a freshman Muslim male walking by and some "idiots" threw a piece of bacon at him. Now, I stuck up for him! Common Sense tells me that one is allowed to eat what they want to. I went over to that group of idiots and told them, "If I see that happen again, we were going to have big problems". I defended the young Muslim. I have practiced Martial Arts for 20+ years and not many people scare me. The young man's name is Fouad and he is a real nice guy, great chess player. He is very quiet though, he does NOT do drugs or any of those bad things.  

Common Sense tells me that it is NEVER acceptable to hit a woman, only if she attacks you first and you are defending yourself. That is what I BELIEVE and it is very sacred to me.

I am hoping that there can be peace on Earth. But I believe it can't happen with ALL religions and what they teach. MOST of them do NOT abide by common sense.

Common sense is a very easy principle to apply to life. If a married man is beating a woman because she had sex with another man, then the man better also accept a beating if he has sex with another woman.

I am NOT a homosexual, I like women as you can tell from my original question. If two men or two women are having sex behind closed doors and they are NOT causing harm to others, I don't think that is a bad thing. We have many same-sex couples that live here who raise children and do NOT abuse them. I know of a couple and I see them often. The two kids these men have are very happy and well taken care of. These two men play many sports and the kids are learning much from both of them. One is an excellent soccer(football) player. Why should I judge them?

Many of those who follow the Christian religion here tell me that GOD told them this is wrong. I say, did GOD tell you that or did you read it in old books? I have asked GOD/ALLAH many questions about faith and I have never received any answers. I have many old books about dragons and wizards and all kinds of things, am I to believe those things are REAL as well? Common Sense tells me NO.  

I have heard many say that a woman can be hit and even killed for many reasons under Islamic Law. I am horribly appalled by hearing this. It makes no sense to me. Do the same reasons, if any, apply to men?

There are many things that I do not like about America. There are many racist people for one thing. BUT, there are also many things that I do like about my country and it is home. Especially with what happened in France recently, there are many people here who do not like your religion. I hope peaceful solutions can be found to our problems. BUT, BOTH sides are going to have to change some of their beliefs. IF NEITHER side is going to accept change, there will be much more carnage.

Thank You again for trying to understand my beliefs and teach me knowledge of yours.
As-salamu alaykum!
Joe

Answer
Question 1 : Is there ANY circumstance (according to Islam) where it is acceptable for a man to physically hit/abuse a woman, other than self-defense?

Answer 1 : Yes..in a course of injustice.... you can hit a women..and a man can hit a man and a women can hit a women....but if someone remits..it will be a great step towards charity.

[Maida 5:45] We ordained therein for them: "Life for life, eye for eye, nose or nose, ear for ear, tooth for tooth, and wounds equal for equal." But if any one remits the retaliation by way of charity, it is an act of atonement for himself. And if any fail to judge by (the light of) what Allah/God has revealed, they are (No better than) wrong-doers.

I have just heard that in GREAT AMERICA now a days nobody hits...but directly shoots/kills.

-----------------
Question 2 : In America many of us feel that our laws are WAY ABOVE any religious laws. So who is right? I can have someone arrested and put in prison. Muslims would have NO right to say otherwise, here. Again, if this is a problem, why do Muslims come here? Why not stay in the country where those laws are upheld?

Answer 2 : Whatever you feel right cannot be right. Your laws are all man-made and detoriating every now and then. Having illegitimate children, sex without marriage, same sex marriage.... do you think it is right ? Is this what your common sense allows you to do ?

Now why muslims come to America is because Americans also similarly have travelled to other countries and settled down. Its a natural exchange of people who enjoy free will to settlement across the world. As long as the country does not restrict people from exercising the Islamic religion, there is no problem in settling down.

-----------------
Question 3 : In Columbus there are several students who claim to be Muslim, yet they drink alcohol and do drugs and look for sex. Are you saying these people are not really Muslim? How many times can one go against those principles and still be forgiven?

Answer 3 : People can be divided in 3 category

1. Non practicing Muslims
2. Partially Practicing Muslim
3. Fully Practicing Muslim

So what you are talking about those who drink/fornicate can be termed as non-practicing muslim or partially practicing muslim.

Quran [4:17] Allah accepts only the repentance of those who do evil in ignorance and foolishness and repent soon afterwards; it is they to whom Allah will forgive and Allah is Ever All­Knower, All­Wise.

Quran [4:18]And of no effect is the repentance of those who continue to do evil deeds until death faces one of them and he says: "Now I repent;" nor of those who die while they are disbelievers. For them We have prepared a painful torment.

---------------

For the other questions please re-ask. Please limit to 2-3 questions per session. I have many questions from readers so have to allot time accordingly.

Regards
Ahmer  

Islam

Ahmer