Islam/Speculative question

Question
Hello,

Many thanks for taking the time to help with this.  (I hope at least. :) )  I'm going to be writing a sort of speculative story, (That is, I'm a gamer and I'm developing a new setting for my use with friends.), and I'm doing some research around a few cultures that are going to be relevant in the story I'm telling.  This is going to a science fiction space opera similar to Star Trek or Babylon 5 if you've seen either of those shows.  

One of the elements I'm going to portray is a large vibrant planet and culture of muslims who have settled a system far removed from earth.  One of the plot devices I'm planning to use stems from their desire fulfill Hajj and so, therefore, they develop a technology that allows them to travel to/from earth without having to deal with time dilation.  The planet was originally settled by a large group of Ahmadi muslims who left earth fleeing persecution.  (Or is it Ahmadiyya?  I've read both in my own research so far.)

So my questions spring from my desire to present such a culture in a fashion that is respectful to it, and informed enough as to not be embarrassing to myself and others.

That said, here's what I'm trying to sort out:

1.  Living an arbitrarily large distance from earth across the galaxy what would a muslim do when it came time to pray?  My first thought was that they would establish some sort of "proxy" holy site on their new home but that didn't feel quite right.  Especially if the impetus for them to develop the plot device technology I mentioned above is to fulfill Hajj.  Would they pray to the sky?  Pick an arbitrary direction to face?  Not care about the direction at all?

2.  I've seen it said in other places that, in Islamic communities, that secular and religious government are the same thing.  That there is only really sharia law and that doesn't quite make sense to me.  I see, and know of, entire countries where Muslims without having a government that appears at all theocratic so how is that social concept actually expressed within Islam?

Again, many thanks for your time and assistance in this!  it is much appreciated!

Answer
As Salaam Alaikum!

Salat timing significance is to make a man punctual, so whatever the day and night that prevails
in the planet, the timings mentioned in the Koran Ayat's can be applied.

And concerning  the Qibla (direction to face while performing the salat)the below verses will
help you in arriving the qibla in your fictitious planet.

2:142
The fools among the people would say, "Why did they change the direction of their Qiblah?" Say, "To God belongs the east and the west; He guides whoever wills in a straight path."*2:142-145 "Qiblah" is the direction one faces during the Contact Prayers (Salat). When Gabriel conveyed to Muhammad the command to face Jerusalem instead of Mecca, the hypocrites were exposed. The Arabs were strongly prejudiced in favor of the Ka`aba as their "Qiblah." Only the true believers were able to overcome their prejudices; they readily obeyed the messenger.
2:143
We thus made you an impartial community, that you may serve as witnesses among the people, and the messenger serves as a witness among you. We changed the direction of your original Qiblah only to distinguish those among you who readily follow the messenger from those who would turn back on their heels. It was a difficult test, but not for those who are guided by God. God never puts your worship to waste. God is Compassionate towards the people, Most Merciful.
2:144
We have seen you turning your face about the sky (searching for the right direction). We now assign a Qiblah that is pleasing to you. Henceforth, you shall turn your face towards the Sacred Masjid. Wherever you may be, all of you shall turn your faces towards it. Those who received the previous scripture know that this is the truth from their Lord. God is never unaware of anything they do.
2:145
Even if you show the followers of the scripture every kind of miracle, they will not follow your Qiblah. Nor shall you follow their Qiblah. They do not even follow each others' Qiblah. If you acquiesce to their wishes, after the knowledge that has come to you, you will belong with the transgressors.

Coming to governance in your fictitious planet, for your information Koran and Islam encourages
democracy, so what best governance can be than democracy.

Please do not hesitate to contact me in case you need any further assistance.

By the way which nationality are you?

May the Almighty Allah have mercy on us to forgive our sins and guide us all to the true path
of Islam as per the Koran for rest of our life.

Islam

Azam Mohammaed