Islam/Forced Marriage or not?

Question
Dear Sir/Madam,
I am writing on behalf of my friend. She is in a bad predicament and needs urgent advice. She has asked me to send an email to yourselves and has asked if there is a solution to her problem.

Her family have been pushing her to marry a guy who proposed to the family some moths ago. She met him, spoke with him and decided she did not want to marry him. But the family disagreed wioth her decision and started to put pressure on her. This went on for months and there was a lot of emotional blackmail. In the end she was very confused and in order to please her family and stop the arguments, she said yes to the nikkah.

The day after the nikkah she realised she had made a big mistake and for the rest of her life she would regret this decision. They have been living separately since the nikkah. She wants to get a divorce and would like to know if there is such a thing as annulment in Islam? If not, what other options does she have?

Also, does this emotional blackmail and psychological games count as forcing?

Sorry, forgot to add one thing: she has spoken to him and told him she is unhappy and asked him for a divorce. He refused point blank and said she will stay like this forever and he will not give her talaq. Must she suffer for the rest of her life?

Thank you,
Zulekha.

Answer
ASSALAAMU ALAIKUM W.B.

I apologize for not being able to answer your question at this time - actually, I am busy with some deadlines for some people going to Hajj in a few weeks. However, I will still try to respond if I get the time to do so Inshaa Allaah Aameen. Maashaa Allaah.

Please feel free to check out our DAWAH PROGRAMS/LECTURES and KHUTBAHS  on ALHIKMAT TV 24/7 ONLINE - BROADCASTING from FLORIDA USA on WWW.ALHIKMATLIVE.COM  Inshaa Allaah.

WWW.ALHIKMAT.COM
WWW.ALHIKMATTV.COM
ALLAAH KNOWS BEST
IN SHAA ALLAAH AAMEEN
MAASHAA ALLAAH

Islam

Islamic Scholar