Islam/Regarding Mariyah (RA)

Question
Assalamualaikum sir ,

I have a question / confusion regarding  Mariyah (RA)  who was  our prophet's(Pbuh) CONCUBINES . I read sura at-tahrim that prophet had the relationship with her but she was not prophet's(pbuh) wife ?

Would you please clear me how prophet made a relationship with a maid servant Mariyah (RA) , who was not prophet's legal wife ?

--And also according to sura 'At Tahrim' , Though our prophet's has a lot of wife's then why our prophet take his maid servant for spending his time .

Sir I just want to know the real history or the reason of this incidents .

Thx in advance ...

Answer
Maria the Coptic was gifted to him by the Egyptian  King as that was the norm then to be his slave girl but since He was opposed to  having slavery continue he kept her as a wife not in the sense of how freed women were married by their own consent but by virtue of having the choice to free her or keep her in his company less she be ill treated  by an Arab who would  have abused  her as a slave girl as was common.

Islam

Imam Habeeb