Islam/Regarding Mariyah (RA)

Assalamualaikum sir ,

I have a question / confusion regarding  Mariyah (RA)  who was  our prophet's(Pbuh) CONCUBINES . I read sura at-tahrim that prophet had the relationship with her but she was not prophet's(pbuh) wife ?

Would you please clear me how prophet made a relationship with a maid servant Mariyah (RA) , who was not prophet's legal wife ?

--And also according to sura 'At Tahrim' , Though our prophet's has a lot of wife's then why our prophet take his maid servant for spending his time .

Sir I just want to know the real history or the reason of this incidents .

Thx in advance ...

Maria the Coptic was gifted to him by the Egyptian  King as that was the norm then to be his slave girl but since He was opposed to  having slavery continue he kept her as a wife not in the sense of how freed women were married by their own consent but by virtue of having the choice to free her or keep her in his company less she be ill treated  by an Arab who would  have abused  her as a slave girl as was common.

Imam Habeeb

Being an Educator of Islamic Studies and Interfaith discussions for the past 25 years and having authored seventeen books and numerous articles on Islam - I think I can answer questions on Islam and other religions and issues of the Hanafi jurisprudence as well as general questions on Quran and Sharia. Love, sex and marital problems are some such topics! This is an independent volunteering service and not under any organizational banner that I may be affiliated with. My book- Intimacy and the Sacred talks about Sex and Muslims.

I have helped thousands of people who are troubled both in life experiences and lack of proper Islamic knowledge.

Latest book Five White Roses and A Red a book of Poetry dedicated to my mother.

Muslims and Non Muslims. I love Interfaith activities.
Youths and issues of generational gap are my areas too. Families under stress.