Islam/Celebrating Eid

Hello dear friend!  I teach English in the US to many Muslim students.  The school at which I teach does not allow Muslims a holiday on Eid al-Adha (tomorrow).  Since my students are required to be in class during Eid, I really would like to make it a special day for them.  However, I have no idea what activities to do to celebrate it with them.  I have read that Eid al-Adha is a time to give gifts, but I do not know what type of gifts to bring for them.    

My question is this:  Are there any activities that you can think of that would allow my students to celebrate Eid and make tomorrow special for them?  
If I brought gifts, what type of gifts or what kinds of food are typical during Eid?
Thank you, dear friend!!

Dear brother,

Thank you for question. Let me first explain you what is ID-UL-ADHA

Hazrat Ibrahim(Peace be upon Him)), known as Abraham was commanded by ALLAH(S.W.T) to sacrifice HIS(Peace be upon Him) son(Peace be upon Him). He(Peace be upon Him) obeyed and took Hazrat Ismail(Peace be upon Him))to Mount Moriah and covered His own eyes with a piece of cloth and sacrificed His son(Peace be upon Him). When He(Peace be upon Him) opened His(Peace be upon Him)eyes He found a sacrificed ram and that Hazrat Ismail(A.S) was just standing in front of the sacrificed Ram.This event is remembered and celebrated as Eid al-Adha.

The Islamic calendar is based on observations of the moon and the length of a particular month can vary between years. For this reason, predicted dates of Eid al-Adha may be corrected at the start of the month of Dhul Hijja. This is around 10 days before the start of the festival.

On this occasion Muslims from whole world arrive in KABA SHARIF in MACCA SHARIF to perform HAJJ which is one of the five pillars of ISLAM.

As, recommended by Holy PROPHET OF ISLAM Muslims who do not and/or unable to go to Hajj are required to offer special prayer (Namaz or Saalat)in congregation before noon. Muslims having means are also required to sacrifice animals on this occasion.Sacrifice of animal can be done on nest two days also.This is the main part of ID-UL-ADHA(ID-UZ-ZOHA)

Now answering to your question I must request you to take up the matter with higher authority/authorities and convince him/them to declare holy day tomorrow or else how will the Muslim student celebrate ID-UL-ADHA.

Regarding distribution of gifts and serving of foods I should say that it is absolutely your choice. There is no hard and first rule about the same.

Thanks, renewed thanks,

In case you need any clarification then please do ask me as I will be too happy to have the same clarified/explained.

Mufti Md.Zia-ul-Haque,Alim & Advocate

By the Grace of Almighty Allah,being the only person in the world who is qualified Moulvi(Passed the Alim Examination Conducted By Madrasa Education Board) with Degrees in Science and Law I am,MASHALLAH,able to answer any question on Islamic Religion.That apart,I was in charge of Legal,Calcutta Office of Custodian of Enemy,Govt of India and Export Inspection Agency,Calcuuta, Ministry of Commerce,Govt of India from where I have retired on 31.3.2010,It is also therefore possible for me to answer questions on Indian Civil Law and Service Matters. Md.Zia-ul-Haque,B.Sc,LLB,Alim(Cal) Alim & Advocate Md,Zia-ul-Haque,B.Sc, LLB,Alim(Cal) Alim & Advocate

Stated in the above field.

Stated above

1. Quran-o-Hadis-er Aloke Pita-o-Matar Martoba (Bengali) 2. Milad Sharif (Transliterated to Bengali) 3. Shaheed-e-Karbala(Bengali) 4. Hazarat Maula Ali Muishkil Kusha -o- Papi Mabiya -o- Duschoroitro Taslima Nasrin(Bengali) 5. Ahl-e-Bayt Pak (AS) -o- Jahannami Mua'wiyah-o-Yazid (Bengali)

B.Sc, LLB, Alim(Cal)