Islam/Muslims, Jews and Christians.

Question
My dear sir,
I am sending you a question that has bothered me for some time.
I live in a western country. Several of my friends are Christian. One is a Jew. People always tell me that Quran dictates that Jews and Christians can not be friends of Muslims. My friends have never done me any harm. They have stood with me when my Pakistani friends abandoned me.(I was born and raised a Muslim in Pakistan). Besides that, I know that Muslim men can marry Christian and Jew women. How can that be allowed if Jews and Christians can not be our friends?
I will wait eagerly for your reply as the matter is important to me..

Answer
Bismillahir-Rahmanir-Rahim (In the Name of Allah, Most Gracious, Most Merciful)

Assalmalaikum

Dear Sister Ayesha,

The actual problem is that we do not understand Arabic..and unfortunately the English translation cannot be accurate as Arabic Vocabulary is twice than that of English !

The Arabic words that are used in such Ayats is "Auliya" which doesnt directly translate to friends. In fact there is no correct english word that can describe the word auliya.

Therefore you will find different ways this word has been translated. Allow me to quote two such verses as examples.

[Maida 5:51] O you who believe! take not the Jews and the Christians for your friends and protectors: They are but friends and protectors to each other. And he amongst you that turns to them (for friendship) is of them. Verily Allah/God guideth not a people unjust.

[Maida 5:51]] O you who have believed, do not take the Jews and the Christians as allies. They are [in fact] allies of one another. And whoever is an ally to them among you - then indeed, he is [one] of them. Indeed, Allah guides not the wrongdoing people.

[Maida 5:57] O you who believe! take not for friends and protectors those who take your religion for a mockery or sport,- whether among those who received the Scripture before you, or among those who reject Faith; but fear you Allah/God, if you have faith (indeed).

[Maida 5:57] O you who have believed, take not those who have taken your religion in ridicule and amusement among the ones who were given the Scripture before you nor the disbelievers as allies. And fear Allah , if you should [truly] be believers.

Therefore what we describe as a casual friend amongst the jews and christians is something totally different. Its not exactly what Allah has prohibited.

However ..what Allah has really objected to is that you do not make them your intimate friends or allies so that it doesnt happen that slowly you start following their ways and start doubting Islam.
Why : Because they are following the wrong path and you the true path. And Shaitan will always be after you in order to derail your islamic ways.

------------------

Further these two ayats as below elaborates it further.

[Maida 5:82] Strongest among men in enmity to the believers will you find the Jews and Pagans; and nearest among them in love to the believers will you find those who say, "We are Christians": because amongst these are men devoted to learning and men who have renounced the world, and they are not arrogant.

[Maida 5:83] And when they listen to the revelation received by the Apostle, you will see their eyes overflowing with tears, for they recognise the truth: they pray: "Our Lord! we believe; write us down among the witnesses.

The above ayat were revealed when the King of Ethiopia ( A Christian) wept upon hearing the Verses of the Quran. He indeed sheltered the muslims when they emigrated to Ethiopia to be safe from the Harm of the Meccan Pagans (during initial days)
--------------------------------------------------------------------

Its my duty to help those in need. You are free to ask as many questions as you like.

If you are not convinced or feel the answer did not address all your questions, pls write back immediately without any hesitation. Please do forgive me if there is an unexpected delay in replying.

rg
Ahmer

Pls spare some time and see these small video clips.

hijab
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qg3C1WpX3N8

which is the best religion - how to identify the true scripture
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hIcl0ZAF6ZU

why is islam the best religion - 15point explanation
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atOexGJC88U

love affairs & Islam
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B9xAj7Aeg-w

Riba
http://www.dailymotion.com/islamnatural

( Note: I am not a mufti, if you are in doubt or want 100% accuracy please verify the above hadith with an authentic personality. However I have not altered any hadith and presented it as and how it was found. May Allah forgive our mistakes from time to time...ameen.)

Islam

Ahmer