Israel/Chickens prohibited in Jerusalem

Jake wrote at 2014-10-29 03:06:25
Isaiah 22:17 Indeed, the Lord will throw you away violently, O mighty man. And will surely seize you.

How does this verse in anyway relate to chickens in the Holy City?

I would like to know for certain where and if the prohibition of chickens in Jerusalem originated.

Thanks for considering.

Joe Turner wrote at 2017-03-11 16:14:54
I was curious on this also, looked into the Jerusalem Talmud to see if there was any validity to the claim. We must remember though that during the crucifixion of the Messiah, Jerusalem was under Roman occupation. This would have made chickens in the area possible since they fell in love with the birds:

"LVI. YERUSHALMI BABA QAMMA 7:7

[A]      THEY DO NOT REAR SMALL CATTLE IN THE LAND OF ISRAEL, BUT THEY DO REAR THEM IN SYRIA AND IN THE WASTELANDS WHICH ARE IN THE LAND OF ISRAEL. THEY DO NOT REAR CHICKENS IN JERUSALEM, ON ACCOUNT OF THE HOLY THINGS, NOR DO PRIESTS [REAR CHICKENS] ANYWHERE IN THE LAND OF ISRAEL, BECAUSE OF THE [NECESSITY TO PRESERVE] THE CLEANNESS [OF HEAVE-OFFERING AND CERTAIN OTHER FOODS THAT ARE HANDED OVER TO THE PRIESTS]. THEY DO NOT REAR PIGS ANYWHERE:"

"1.      I:1: Said R. Ba, “An example [of a wasteland (M. 7:7B) would be] Mehir, which is sixteen mil by sixteen mil.”"

"2.      I:2: It is taught: They do not rear chickens in Jerusalem. on account of Holy! Things. nor do priests rear chickens anywhere in the Land of Israel. because of the necessity to preserve the cleanness of heave offering and other portions handed over as consecrated rations to the priests. May one also say that the same rule applies [to Israelites] in Jerusalem?"

"3.      I:3: It is written, “And these are unclean to you” (Lev. 11:31). Why does Scripture then say, “They shall be unclean to you” (Lev. 11:35)? [It is to indicate the following:] All the same are the prohibition of actually eating these things and the prohibition against deriving benefit from them, [which accounts for M. 7:7E]."

Jacob Neusner, The Jerusalem Talmud: A Translation and Commentary, y. B. Qam. 7:6, I.1–7 I.3 (Peabody, Massachusetts: Hendrickson Publishers, 2008).

(My Note: This is also recorded in the Babylonian Talmud: MISHNAH-TRACTATE BABA QAMMA 7:7)

Jacob Neusner, The Babylonian Talmud: A Translation and Commentary, vol. 13 (Peabody, MA: Hendrickson Publishers, 2011), 612.

To rectify the disparity between this and the crucifixion there are at least one possibility. It could have been due to the Roman occupation (mentioned above).  

Israel

Leon Gork