Israel/Israeli burial practice

Mr Lehman,
My cousin, who resides in Israel, says that in Israel, due to a space shortage, more than one person may be buried in a grave one on top of the other. Is this true? If yes , is it approved by halacha or is it done only by the secular jewish community?

Thank you,

Hi Avery,
What your cousin says is true, approved by the Halacha, and is being done in several main cemeteries in Israel. To be exact, it is not two people in the same grave, but rather, two (or more) graves on top of each other. This has been done in the past also, maybe the most famous example is the old Jewish graveyard in Prague.

Yishay Lehman

I can answer most questions about travel in Israel and general information such as history, politics, customs, etc. I have less knowledge about accomodation, as being a native I don't use them much, but still you can try me in this area as well

A native Israeli with a history degree and a love of travel, I volunteer as a tour guide from time to time.

History B.A from the Hebrew University. Tour Guide diploma from the Ben Zvi institute