Israel/Israeli burial practice

Question
Mr Lehman,
My cousin, who resides in Israel, says that in Israel, due to a space shortage, more than one person may be buried in a grave one on top of the other. Is this true? If yes , is it approved by halacha or is it done only by the secular jewish community?

Thank you,
Avery

Answer
Hi Avery,
What your cousin says is true, approved by the Halacha, and is being done in several main cemeteries in Israel. To be exact, it is not two people in the same grave, but rather, two (or more) graves on top of each other. This has been done in the past also, maybe the most famous example is the old Jewish graveyard in Prague.
Yishay  

Israel

Yishay Lehman