Israel/Purpose of Napkin on the Deceased

I understand that the deceased body is wrapped in a linen shroud but the face is covered by a separate napkin.  Why is this, and what is the purpose or the meaning behind it?

there are many different customs in various communities and in different times.if the custom appears in the shulchan aruch,the official book of all Jewish customs,I might be able to find out the purpose of the law,but it is very rare for a purpose to be clearly stated. All explanations oF jewish laws is supposition and personal opinion. As far as I KNOW no such custom as you mentioned is found in the Shulhan ARUCH.  

Leon Gork

I can answer questions on Jewish history and religion, especially the relationship between Judaism and other religions and questions about every aspect of Israel

I've been a tour guide for more than 25 years in Israel and I've taught Jewish History and Religion in various schools at high school level

Israel Tour guides association

BA in comparitive Semitic Languages and 5 years of university study in Jewish philosophy