Israel/Middle East (News & Politics)/USA ? TERRORISM ? CRISIS ?

QUESTION: Respected Sir,

I have few questions. Please answer based on your expertise...

A--- World today, remembers 9/11 but forgets Oklahoma bombing on April 19, 1995 (which was not by Al Qaeda). Why?

B--- What is difference between terrorism and war?

C--- Some people are spreading news (may be false) that USA wants to wage World War III for the sake of petrodollar. (You can see that detail on website.) What is your take on that?

ANSWER: Hello. Thank you for your questions.

A. It is human nature to focus on larger, more recent events and to put behind one older, smaller events of a similar nature. The events of 9/11 also had a more profound worldwide impact because of the more diverse nature of the victims and succeeding actions taken by the U.S. and other nations.
B. I believe that terrorism is a form of political violence that falls somewhere between war and "normal" life. Everything that occurs that is called terrorism also exists during war and has a parallel in ordinary crime. To treat it as simply a form of warfare or as only a law enforcement problem ignores its uniqueness and the political nature that makes it something deserving of special attention.
C. There are always "conspiracy theorists" and others who will invent reasons to explain events in accordance with their own view of the world. This is an example.

I hope my answers are helpful.

Best regards.

QUESTION: Thanks Sir. Your response was quick and clear as far as part A is concerned.

In part B, you said ---

To treat it as simply a form of warfare or as only a law enforcement problem ignores its uniqueness and the political nature that makes it something deserving of special attention.

Can you please elaborate which special attention and uniqueness are you talking about?

Part C.

Why I asked that question was that you are yourself a US resident and a scholar, so you would be knowing whether conspiracy theories like that are true OR not. So, kindly clear it.

B. Terrorism is distinguishable from common criminality by the political nature of its objectives and from a form of warfare because of the criminal tactics used by its proponents. Therefore, dealing with it requires a combination of both military and non-military responses.
C. Almost all conspiracy theories are false--as is the one you noted.

Israel/Middle East (News & Politics)

Mayer Nudell

Questions related to terrorism, travel security, crisis management, contingency planning, and related matters.

Currently a consultant to various government, academic, and multi-national organizations and adjunct professor at Webster University. Formerly, U.S. diplomat. Certified Security and Safety Consultant.

ASIS International, International Institute of Security and Safety Management, International Association of Chiefs of Police

Author of 2 books; articles in Security Management, Marine Corps Gazette, Risk Management, The World & I, Journal of Defense & Diplomacy, and other magazines.

M.S. International Public Administration, University of Southern California, 1973. Certifcat d'Assiduité, University of Grenoble, France, 1972. B.S. Foreign Service, Georgetown University, 1971. Foreign Service Institute, 1975-76. Police Reserve Training, Washington, D.C Police Academy, 1982. FBI Hostage Negotiation Seminar, 1983. FBI Victimology Seminar, 1983. Crisis Response Management Seminar, U.S. Government Joint Training Center, 1983. FAA Civil Aviation Security Seminar, Transportation Safety Institute, 1983. Terrorism Seminar, GSA Training Center, 1987. Risk Assessment-Contingency Planning Seminar, GSA Training Center, 1988. Emergency Management U.S.A., FEMA Emergency Management Institute, National Emergency Training Center, 1990. Conflict Negotiation Training, Prince George's Police Training Academy, 1992. Advanced Hostage Negotiation Training, Prince George's County Police Department, 1993. Preparing for and Managing Consequences of Terrorism, National Interagency Counterdrug Institute, 1997. Court Security Seminar, Delaware State Capitol Police Department, 1997. Emergency Response to Terrorism, National Emergency Response and Rescue Training Center, 2000.

Group Meritorious Honor Award, U.S. Department of State, 1980, 1982. Distinguished Leadership Award, American Biographical Institute, 1987. Certificate of Appreciation, Washington, D.C. Chapter, American Society for Industrial Security, 1987, 1991, 1992, 1994. Certificate of Appreciation, Bureau of Business Practice, 1989. Certificate of Appreciation, International Association of Chiefs of Police, 1989. President's Award, American Society for Industrial Security, 1990. Grand Winner, Mercury Awards, 1990. John Edgar Hoover Memorial Gold Medal for Distinguished Public Service, American Police Hall of Fame, 1991. Certificate of Appreciation, Tactical Response Association, 1992. Certificate of Appreciation, TREXPO Conference on Special Tactics & Security, 1994. G2I Cyber Award for OSINT Excellence, 1997, 1998, 1999. Award for Exceptional Service, National Capital Chapter, ASIS International, 2003. Listed in various Who's Who publications.