Italian Cuisine/Easter Tradition

ROLLO wrote at 2012-04-08 02:07:40
WAS IT FROM BITONTO,OR GRUMA ITALY?  THIS IS THE TOWNS THAT MY GRANDPARENTS ARE FROM, AND SOME FRIENDS FROM BARI NEVER HEARD OF THIS FOOD.

Co wrote at 2012-04-08 16:16:57
My barese grandparents had a similar tradition of serving quartered hard boiled eggs, orange sections & ricotta salata on a platter before dinner.  I think it has something to do with the beginning of the spring season.  Eggs &oranges at this time symbolize new growth.  The salted ricotta is a puzzle unless it has something to do with the end of the old season.

PAT wrote at 2013-03-31 18:17:18
My Grandparents also came from Bari ( Margharetta De Savoy is the name of the town) and they too didn't have a definite explanation for this blessing except it was the spring foods and eldest of the family blessed the food and all people gathered.  I am glad to find another person who's family caries on this tradition it has been 6 generations since my Great Grandmother came over and our family has been doing this blessing.

Pat wrote at 2013-04-01 13:21:20
My father and in-laws were born in Bitonto, Bari and we have always celebrated this tradition.  We add a slice of lemon to represent Christ's death, the orange the sweetness of his resurrection, the egg as new birth.  Our parents are long ago deceased, and no one seems to know the meaning of the soppresata (type of salami) or the ricotta salada.  We also serve taralle (bread sticks) with it, which represents the bread of life.

Pat wrote at 2013-04-02 16:12:41
What I learned since my post yesterday is that the ricotta represents the fundamental truths of God as "spiritual milk;" the salt represents a "salt covenant" to be truthful, loyal and protective of and to each other.  The salami or meat represents "wisdom, understanding and transformation." The result of maturing in our faith.  Otherwise we remain as "children" able to receive the Milk, or fundamental beliefs, but not growing to accept the laws of sex, belief in spiritual helpers and forsaking all for God's truths.  

Lori Porzio wrote at 2015-04-06 22:11:13
Our family too has been carrying on this tradition for Easter and never knew the meaning behind it or if it was just a family dish. I am so happy to learn others are enjoying it too!!!!  

Italian Cuisine

Il Magu