Italian Greyhounds/3 year old female peeing in the house

Ok so let me start by saying i am not new to this breed, i have a 10.5 yr old male iggie that is wonderful. I did his training myself, he doesn't go to the bathroom at all in the house, i have left him alone for 7 hours before and came home to no messes. He also defies all Iggie breed standards (able to let off leash, plays fetch, knows what time out means, loves everything and everyone, even knows real sign lang commands).

Now here is my problem. i just got a female iggie on the 10-27-2012 from a guy in va. He said she is housebroken and has signs to let you know when she needs to go. I have yet to see any of these "signs" he is talking about, but she was doing great about going outside. I kept her one the same food she was on ( until she started to eat my males - taste of the wild) two days ago. She stays in my bathroom with her bed while i am at work and have no issues at all with her going then. She was doing so well about going outside ( she is even smart enough that she has learned that when she goes outside that she gets a treat and will come in and run to the treat spot and sit and wait for me). But over the past three days she has started to pee while i am sleeping at night. i am not sure what would have all the sudden made her change her ways about not going in the house. I am wondering if she is just now getting comfortable with me and her bad habits are coming out? I really want her to sleep in the bed with me and my male and cat (which she loves to death- they are all one big happy family)but at the same time i cant have her peeing in the house while I'm sleeping.

Congratulations on your new IG! Always exciting.
To answer your question - peeing in the house. IG's tend to regress when there is a period of change. It can take several days for them to regress but they typically do regress so this may be a part of that. If it is, she will work through it with patience.

In the meantime, you need to reduce water intake before bedtime, pick it up at least 1.5 hrs before going to bed to allow the bladder to be emptied. Second, crate her at night until she gets through the night without incident. Priviledges must be earned and she needs to understand that she gets to sleep with you when she isn't pottying in the house (harder to do than say - I know). If you don't want to crate her, there is the option of putting her on a leash while you sleep and sleeping on the leash. You will need to be a person that when the leash moves you wake up, this way if she gets up you wake up and let her out immediately. Then she can come back in and go back to bed. The hard thing about this is that it is not teaching her to sleep through the night as crating would.

I don't believe she is doing these bad habits because she is relaxed, I believe she is trying to figure out where she fits in the pack and as the pack leader you must set the rules and be consistent with them. With a bit of time and just some basic regression training she should go back on track.

I hope this helps, don't get discouraged, she only moved homes a week or so ago and this is very very normal. You sound like you have training techniques down solid, so just go back to basics and she will come around.

let me know if it doesn't help.

Italian Greyhounds

Tracy Rousseau

I can answer many questions about training, behavioral issues, health, and conformation. Also I can answer questions about what types of dogs these are and if this is the right breed for you.

I have worked with Italian Greyhounds in both showing and rescue for over 5 years, experienced almost every type of issue with this breed that could be imagined and have successfully trained, many "untrainable" dogs. I have been responsible to find homes suitable for IG's and have had an excellent success rate in placements into a "forever" homes of dogs given to rescue or turned to rescue by shelters that would have otherwise euthanized.

I have learned most of what I know through mentorships with breeders of the breed that have been involved for 20 years, asking a lot of questions and paying attention to the dogs signals.