Italian Greyhounds/Getting along with a parrot?

Hi - we are in our 60's - I am home all day - we are thinking of adding a rescue IG to our household.  We had a beloved IG/terrior mix for 14 years (we had to have her euthanized towards the end for liver cancer) and she was such a sweetheart.  We miss her everyday.  We have 2 parrots and Sophie seemed okay with them (rather leery) & never harmed them - she always avoided them.  The parrots are rarely on the floor - only when they fall off a playstand or rope.  Our african grey did call her and try to bite her tail as she walked by.  Sophie did hang around their playstands when they ate to get food that fell on the floor.

We are wondering what you think - if we were to get a purebred IG from the rescue - I know that you cannot say for sure what an individual dog would do - have you had experience of other owners having trouble with owning both parrots & IGs?

Thanks for any thoughts on this.  We very much appreciate your time!

First of all Thank you for considering a rescue IG... there are a lot of them out there that need good homes so considering one is a huge deal!!

I have known people that have IG's and parrots actually, although remember that IG's are sighthounds, thus hunt by sight and the quick movements of birds can attract them to try to chase them. The trick is finding an IG that is calm and mellow and other pet friendly. There are some that are friendly to cats, others are friendly to rabbits and such, it is a matter of finding the right one. Parrots are pretty big so a smaller IG may be intimidated by the big parrot and just leave them alone. Also introduction would be key, I wouldn't let the IG off leash near the parrot until you know that they aren't going to harm them... so umbilical training would be a good start.

Key is, find an IG that doesn't have a huge prey drive and is calm, also look for an IG that is other pet friendly/isnt' an Alpha.  Introduce them to see how that goes and ensure that you are consistent in your introduction and that the IG gets to know that the parrot is part of the family. I would take your time in finding the right IG though.. that is going to be the hardest part. I know there are those out there that can live with birds and not bother them though, it is just a matter of finding the right one.

I would also recommend getting in touch with local breeders in the area, most responsible breeders are involved in rescue as well and can tell you if they know of any rescues that may be bird friendly in the local area or of rescues available through partner rescue groups that might fit your family. There is also the AKC parent club rescue -- IGCA Rescue -- that can also provide information. Finally, look on Petfinder, many rescues and shelters post there with pictures and information the dogs available. Lots of purebreds out there and many good rescue organizations trying to find homes for them. Good luck and let me know if I can help in any way.

Italian Greyhounds

Tracy Rousseau

I can answer many questions about training, behavioral issues, health, and conformation. Also I can answer questions about what types of dogs these are and if this is the right breed for you.

I have worked with Italian Greyhounds in both showing and rescue for over 5 years, experienced almost every type of issue with this breed that could be imagined and have successfully trained, many "untrainable" dogs. I have been responsible to find homes suitable for IG's and have had an excellent success rate in placements into a "forever" homes of dogs given to rescue or turned to rescue by shelters that would have otherwise euthanized.

I have learned most of what I know through mentorships with breeders of the breed that have been involved for 20 years, asking a lot of questions and paying attention to the dogs signals.