Italian Greyhounds/Peeing very often

Question
I have a 12 week old italian greyhound/chihuahua mix that i take out every 30 minutes to hour while home.  I wait till he goes pee/poop praise him then come back in the house.   Within minutes he will pee in the house or poop again in the house.    I have crate for him for when we leave the house or at night but he likes to go in there on his own also.   I have tried only putting water down for 15 minutes at a time waiting 5-10 minutes and taking him out.   Any suggestions for what I can do?    He pees  everywhere all the time.   To take a shower means to come out and find 3/4 piss spots on my tile.   Almost at wits end.  I have had many different breeds and never had such a problem with them.   I don't expect him to be housebroken overnight but this amount of accidents is ridiculous (at least 20 a day)

Thank you for your time

Answer
My first suggestion is to get the dog checked by a vet, frequent urination could be the sign of a bladder infection or urinary tract infection. They really shouldn't potty that often. After that, then I would do some umbilical training. This is where the dog is either attached to you so you can see them try to potty and correct the behavior on the spot, or confined in a crate. I understand the difficulty with working but it is critical to correct the behavior while catching the dog pottying where they are not supposed too so they understand what they are supposed to do. I don't condone yelling or anything - that will just make them want to potty more, but just a firm no, pick them up and go outside. Do not offer any freedom in the house until they learn that they are to potty outside.

It sounds like you are doing everything else pretty good, but he needs to earn the privilege of being able to go anywhere in the house and at 12 weeks, he has not earned that yet. Understand also it could take several years to fully potty train an IG, I don't know if Chihuahua's are difficult to train but IGs definitely are and they can regress if they get really stressed. Don't give up hope!!! You are just dealing with an infant right now and things do get better. You may want to consider a piddle pad inside the home to give them a place they are allowed to go potty if the weather is bad or wind is blowing or raining or anything. IGs will really not want to potty outside if it is nasty and would rather get in trouble peeing on the floor. I don't use paper piddle pads, if you look online you can find the big pads that they use for hospital beds or people with incontinence problems, buying a couple of those and washing the when they are dirty is much more cost effective than the paper ones and the IGs tend not to tear them up like the paper ones.

Once you have ruled out an infection or irritation, and with consistency in always having them attached to you or crated if they cannot be watched, you should see the behavior change very rapidly. I would also advise you get him neutered as soon as he is old enough - just so that marking doesn't become a problem. That is much harder to stop and will cause much distress in the household if you have nice furniture that you don't want ruined.

I truly hope this helps and congratulations on your youngster!! Keep up with consistency, corrective behavior and praise praise praise when he does it right. :) May want to get some nice meatballs or something special to give him when he does his business properly - just to reinforce the good behavior.  

Italian Greyhounds

Tracy Rousseau