Italian Language/Sicilian Expression

Mark wrote at 2009-08-04 21:31:11
Your grandmother was probably calling you "picciriddra", the feminine form of "little one".  The masculine form is "picciriddu".  Google the word, you'll be surprised what you find.

leslie wrote at 2015-08-22 17:04:24
Yes, my grandmother also said this--it sounds more like a "Beech-a REE-da" for a girl, "--doo" for a boy. She told us it does mean poor little baby. It was invariably followed by somethng that sounded like "fig-you-BED-a", which means pretty much the same thing. We third generation Italian Americans now use it all the time with our kids.

Italian Language

Chris Platamone

I can answer all basic to advanced grammar questions. Italian is not my native tongue, but I have an excellent handle on all things grammatical and can help people bridge the gap between English and Italian by teaching Italian grammar from the English-speaker's point of view.

I attended school in Florence, Italy for 1 and a half years.

I am already an expert on is a new application because my email address has changed.

I have published a translation of a short story in an anthology of Italian women writers, and I have had a letter published on the web site of Italian journalist Beppe Severgnini.

Bachelor's degree, Italian language and literature, San Francisco State University, 1984. Secondary Teaching Credential, San Francisco State University, 1990.

I have taught hundreds of students in both high school and adult education classes over the past 18 years.