Italian Language/translations

Question
QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Would you please help me with the following sentences:

[1]  “La popolazione del Belgio è composta da Fiamminghi e Valloni.”

Can you please tell me if the following translation is correct:
"The population of Belgium is composed of Flemish and Walloons."

Can you also please toll me if “ composta” is an example of “la forma passive” (the passive voice) in this sentence.

[2]  "Molte città d’Italia sono ricche d monumenti.”

“Many cities of Italy are full of monuments.”

Can you please help me to understand the use of “ricche di monumenti” in this sentence.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

ANSWER: Dear Rich,

your translations are correct.
As for  “composta” in “La popolazione del Belgio è composta da Fiamminghi e Valloni”, it is  the past participle of the verb “comporre” that however is used as an adjective followed by an indirect object.

Lastly, the expression “ricche di monumenti” in “Molte città d’Italia sono ricche di monumenti” is composed of the adjective “ricche” related to “città”  and the indirect object “di monumenti”.

If however you want to know the role of the adjective "ricche" in the sentence, please note that it is a predicate related to "città".

Best regards,
Maria

QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Thank you very much for your great help with this question.

I hope you will not mind this follow-up question.

Can you please tell me if I am correct in thinking that in sentence
[1] -   “composta” is a predicate adjective that modifies “popolazione” , and that “da Fiamminghi e Valloni” is an indirect object that modifies the adjective “composta”.

I am unsure because I did not realize that Italian indirect objects can be used to modify adjectives.

Can you please also tell me if I am correct in thinking that in sentence [2] -  “ricche” is a predicate adjective, and that “di monumenti” is an indirect object that modifies the adjective “ricche”.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

in the sentence “La popolazione del Belgio è composta da Fiamminghi e Valloni“ the word “composta”, as a predicate adjective, is  part of the predicate of this  sentence and describes the subject, i.e.  “popolazione”.

As for “da Fiamminghi e Valloni”,it is an indirect object that does not modify the adjective “composta”, but defines the sense of this adjective as it specifies that Flemish and Walloons compose the population of Belgium.

This Italian indirect object is called “complemento d’agente”  as it denotes that something (e.g.la popolazione) is formed by something else (e.g. Fiamminghi e Valloni).

Also, in sentence [2]  -  “ricche” is a predicate adjective that describes the subject (città), while “di monumenti” is an indirect object that does not modify the adjective “ricche”, but defines the sense of this adjective as it specifies that many cities of Italy are full of monuments.

This Italian indirect object is called “complemento di abbondanza”, as it denotes that someone/ something ( e.g.città ) is rich in something else (e.g.monumenti).

Hope this is clear enough.
Best regards,
Maria
____________________________________________________________________________
P.S.
When I was in Venezia, luckily  there was not the “acqua alta” (the flood waters), so that  my daughter and I enjoyed some famous paintings such as "La tempesta" by Giorgione, "La fuga in Egitto" by Tiziano and many other famous Italian works of art at the Gallerie dell'Accademia,the views of Venice by Francesco Guardi at Museo Correr, and Guggenheim Collection at Ca' Venier dei Leoni facing the Canal Grande.

Moreover we had brunch at Caffé Florian, Italy’s oldest Café  opened in 1720 in Piazza San Marco. While seated in one of the café’s frescoed rooms  we really enjoyed an impeccable service and products of the finest quality.  

Italian Language

Maria