Italian Language/"una lega a base"

Question
Dear Maria,

Can you please tell me the meaning of “una lega a base” from the following sentence:
“Il peltro è composto di una lega base di stagno e altri metalli.”

Can you also please tell me if “a base” is a complemento indiretto, and, if so, what type?

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

in the sentence “Il peltro è composto di una lega a base di stagno e altri metalli” the expression “a base di” is a “locuzione prepositiva” (prepositional phrase) that means “ based on”.

Therefore  the literal translation of  “Il peltro è composto di una lega a base di stagno e altri metalli”  would be :”The pewter is composed of an alloy based on  tin and other metals”, i.e. “The pewter is  an alloy of tin and other metals”.

Please note that "a base di" is called "locuzione prepositiva" as it works like a preposition.

Best regards,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria