Italian Language/use of "nome" and "sostantivo"

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the use of the masculine noun - “nome” and about the use of the  masculine noun -  “sostantivo”.

Can you please tell me if both ”nome” and “sostantivo” can be  used to say “noun” as in the following examples:

La parola “casa” č un nome.  (The word “casa” is a noun)

La parola “casa” č un sostantivo.  (The word “casa” is a noun)

My dictionary gives the following examples of the use of “nome”:  “nome astratto” (abstract noun),  “nome commune” (common noun)  and  “nome proprio” (proper noun).

But, my dictionary does not give any similar examples for the use of “sostantivo”.

Can you please tell me if “sostantivo” can also be used in expressions such as “sostantivo astratto” (abstract noun),  “sostantivo commune” (common noun)  and  “sostantivo proprio” (proper noun).

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

firstly I have to tell you that “nome” and “sostantivo” are interchangeable terms as they mean the same, i.e. “noun”.

Both ”nome” and “sostantivo” can therefore be  used to say “noun” as in “La parola 'casa' č un nome"(The word 'casa' is a noun) and “La parola 'casa' č un sostantivo"(The word 'casa' is a noun).

As for the use of “nome”, i.e. “nome astratto” (abstract noun),  “nome comune” (common noun)  and  “nome proprio” (proper noun), your  dictionary does not give any similar examples for the use of “sostantivo” maybe  because it believes it is obvious that  the “sostantivo” and “nome” are the same thing.

So, “sostantivo” can also be used in expressions such as “sostantivo astratto” (abstract noun),  “sostantivo comune” (common noun)  and  “sostantivo proprio” (proper noun), though it is more common to use “nome” instead of its synonym “sostantivo”.

Kind regards,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria