Italian Language/vado in ufficio or vado all'ufficio

Ciao Paolin

vado in ufficio
vado all'ufficio

Which one is corect?

Also, is the phrase 'ti sono gratissima' correct for conveying gratitude?

Hello Cornelia,
nice to hear from you.
The first two sentences are both correct: they have different meaning depending on the context. If you are generically saying that you're going to your working place, you'll say
"vado in ufficio".
If you are talking about a specific office, such as the post office, or someone else's office, you'll use the second expression and you will complete it accordingly:
"Vado all'ufficio delle imposte", "I'll go to the tax office";
"Vado all'ufficio postale", "I'll go to the post office";
"Vado all'ufficio di Joe", "I'll go to Joe's office".
In the last case you can also say
"vado in ufficio da Joe" (or "da Joe in ufficio").

In the third phrase the grammar is formally correct, but the expression would not be fluent: we say "Ti sono molto grata ". "Molto grata" is exactly the same as "gratissima" - but this last form is never used. You can also say "Ti sono veramente grata", "Grazie molte", "Ti ringrazio moltissimo".
I don't know why in the case of "grata" we don't use the superlative "-issima" form; the construction you had used is normally correct: if you say "tall", "alta", you can say
"molto alta" or "altissima", it's the same;
bella - molto bella - bellissima
felice - molto felice - felicissima
gradita - molto gradita - graditissima ("mi hai fatto una graditissima sorpresa").
Who knows why "gratissima" had been unsuccessful: languages are funny sometimes!

Thank you for your question, good bye!

Italian Language

I read and correct your italian texts, either translations or written compositions. I read or listen to your oral compositions, readings and speechs and help you improve your pronunciation and style. I read and correct also your advertising short and medium texts. I answer questions about Italian language, slang, style, punctuation. I don't answer about dialects and specific local slang.

I'm mother tongue; I graduated at Classic Lyceum (100/100), studying classic Italian language and classic Latin and Greek. The 5 years long daily exercise in translation from ancient Latin and Greek to modern Italian taught me to appreciate a correct italian translation and/or text composition. I graduated at University in Law studies and Jurisprudence, learning to appreciate deep differences between a strictly specific and technical language and other styles. I'm currently PhD candidate in Philosophy of Law. I read fiction, classic novels, philosophical books and papers, legal books and papers.

Read more about Italian -

Italian mother tongue; diploma at Liceo Classico (100/100; year 2001); Laurea at University (110/110 cum laude; year 2008); PhD in Law: Philosophy of Law and Sociology of Law