Italian Language/arrinisciuto again

Ciao Paolo!

You DID in fact answer my question! After I sent off my query I soldiered on with the good Commissario Montalbano and the word arrinisciuto reappears. From the various contexts I managed to deduce that it does in fact mean 'riuscito', so you are spot on!! I was still hoping for an explanation of ' pidocchio arrinisciuto' which you also supplied. So in fact, another question asked and answered. THanks!

Thank you Cornelia,

I'm really glad to hear about this. Just to help other people reading, in case this could help their searching, I just remember here

1) "pidocchio arrinisciuto" is a Sicilian expression that means someone ho has "had success", improving his social condition; it's used in a quite derogative sense, to mean rather unmannered people;

2) "arrinisciuto" means "riuscito": s.o. who has "managed to" do something, who could do something, who had success in doing something;

3) for those who don't understand Sicilian but can read or at least translate a little Italian, here is the "Camilleri-Italian" dictionary, to help Camilleri's readers:

Enjoy everybody; Cornelia, thank you again. Good bye!

Italian Language

I read and correct your italian texts, either translations or written compositions. I read or listen to your oral compositions, readings and speechs and help you improve your pronunciation and style. I read and correct also your advertising short and medium texts. I answer questions about Italian language, slang, style, punctuation. I don't answer about dialects and specific local slang.

I'm mother tongue; I graduated at Classic Lyceum (100/100), studying classic Italian language and classic Latin and Greek. The 5 years long daily exercise in translation from ancient Latin and Greek to modern Italian taught me to appreciate a correct italian translation and/or text composition. I graduated at University in Law studies and Jurisprudence, learning to appreciate deep differences between a strictly specific and technical language and other styles. I'm currently PhD candidate in Philosophy of Law. I read fiction, classic novels, philosophical books and papers, legal books and papers.

Read more about Italian -

Italian mother tongue; diploma at Liceo Classico (100/100; year 2001); Laurea at University (110/110 cum laude; year 2008); PhD in Law: Philosophy of Law and Sociology of Law