Italian Language/use of "da"

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please help me to understand the use of the (articulated) preposition “da” in the following sentence:

In conclusione, io credo che i tuoi dubbi nascano dal fatto che in Inglese …
(In conclusion, I believe that your doubts come from the fact that in English …)

I am wondering why the preposition “da” is used to express “from”.

I am confused because I know that sometimes the preposition “di” is used to express “from”.   Can you please explain why  “da” is used to express “from” in the above sentence instead of using “di” to express “from”?

If I can understand why “da” is used in this sentence, I hope to be able to apply this reasoning to other sentences where “da” should be used instead of “di” to express “from”.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

In the sentence “In conclusione, io credo che i tuoi dubbi nascano dal fatto che in Inglese ….(In conclusion, I believe that your doubts come from the fact that in English …) the preposition “da” (articulated “dal”) is used to express “from” simply because “da” means exactly “from”, while “di” means “from” only when you are saying e.g. :”Sono DI Roma” (I am FROM Roma); “DI dove sei?” (Where are you FROM?); “E’ DI buona famiglia”( he is FROM a good family), i.e. when you specify your origin/family or where you are from.

Otherwise “di” and its articulated forms mean :”of” as in “ Il centro della città “( the centre of town), or “about”  as in  “Discute di sport” (He talks about sport), etc.,  as you can see at: http://garzantilinguistica.sapere.it/it/traduzione/en/lemma/di-iten?dizionario=i

Please see also the uses of “da” at:
http://garzantilinguistica.sapere.it/it/traduzione/en/lemma/da-iten?dizionario=i

Best regards and Merry Christmas to you and your family,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria