Italian Language/use of "si usa"

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if I am correct in thinking that “si usa”  in the following sentence is an example of the “impersonal si” and the transitive verb “usare”.

In conclusione, io credo che i tuoi dubbi nascano dal fatto che in Inglese si usa il plurale “mountains” più frequentemente del singolare “mountain”…

I was also wondering about the verb “usarsi”.  Can you please tell me if the verb usarsi is a reflexive verb or if usarsi is an intransitive pronominal verb and also the meaning of usarsi.

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

in the sentence “In conclusione, io credo che i tuoi dubbi nascano dal fatto che in Inglese si usa il plurale “mountains” più frequentemente del singolare “mountain”… “ the verb  “si usa”  is not an example of the “impersonal si” and the transitive verb “usare”, but an example of the so-called “si passivante” (passive “si”) and the transitive verb “usare" just used as a passive form.

In fact, the passage  “si usa  il plurale “mountains” più frequentemente del..” stands for “è usato /viene usato il plurale... più frequentemente del...”, where the verb forms “è usato “ or “viene usato” are the present indicative, passive voice,3rd.person singular,  of the  verb “usare” whose subject is “il plurale".

To sum up, we have a “si passivante” ( passive si) when this passive “si” refers to the subject of the sentence as in e.g. “Si leggono molti libri” i.e. “Molti libri sono letti” (many books are read);”Si vendettero molti appartamenti” i.e. “Molti appartamenti furono venduti” (Many flats were sold); “Si eleggeranno i deputati”, i.e. “I deputati saranno eletti”, etc.where "libri", "appartamenti", "deputati" are the subject of their respective verbs "Si leggono", "Si vendettero", "Si eleggeranno".

As for the verb “usare”, it is a transitive verb as in “ Devi usare meglio il  tuo denaro,” (you must use better your money) where “denaro” is the direct object of the transitive verb “usare”.

Finally  the  reflexive verb “usarsi “  does not exist at all in Italian.

Best regards,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria