Italian Language/bisogna che

Dear Lauren,

My question is about the following expressions:

Bisogno che
Non bisogno che

I found these expressions at
They were identified as examples of Impersonal Verbs and Expressions that indicate the use of the subjunctive verb mood.

I am wondering if “bisogno” is supposed to be the third person singular verb form and spelled as – “bisogna”  , or if “bisogno” is the correct spelling and is supposed to be the masculine noun (bisogno).

If the spelling was incorrect  -  are “bisogna che” and “non bisogna che” correct and are the following translations correct:

bisogna che      it is necessary that
non bisogna che          it is not necessary that

Thank you very much.

Hi Rich,

Nice to hear from you. Happy New Year! I hope you and your family had a lovely Christmas.

In regards to your question, you are absolutely correct in assuming that the spelling is incorrect on the website. The expressions are actually “bisogna che” and “non bisogna che” and they do indeed both mean "it is necessary that" and "it is not necessary that"

Bisogno che does not exist - if it were to be used, it would instead be 'ho bisogno di' such as 'I need'.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan