Italian Language/"in calce" and "calce"

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about “in calce” in the following sentence:

Comunque in calce troverai sia la correzione di quanto tu hai scritto in Italiano, sia il testo della mia risposta in Inglese.

Can you please tell me if “in calce” is a “locuzioni avverbiali” that is composed of the preposition “in” and the masculine noun “calce”.   

Will you also please tell me how to translate: “in calce”.  

Will you also please tell me how to translate:  “calce” .

Is there any difference in meaning between “in calce” and “calce”?

Thank you very, very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

In my sentence “Comunque in calce troverai sia la correzione di quanto tu hai scritto in Italiano, sia il testo della mia risposta in Inglese” the expression “in calce” is just a “locuzione avverbiale” that is composed of the preposition “in” and the masculine noun “calce”.

Such a “locuzione avverbiale” -that means “below “/”at foot”/ “at bottom” as in “Devi  firmare in  calce” (you must  sign below)- derives from the Latin accusative “calcem” meaning “heel”/”calcaneum” just to indicate the lower part of the foot at the back of the tarsus, and then metaphorically the lower part of a page:hence the meaning “below “/”at foot”/ “at bottom”.

As for the difference in meaning between “in calce” and “calce”, here it is:

-the Italian “locuzione avverbiale” IN CALCE –that derives from the MASCULINE noun “calx” whose accusative is “calcem”-means “below “/”at foot”/ “at bottom”.

-the Italian feminine noun CALCE – that derives from the Latin FEMININE noun “calx” whose genitive is “calcis”- means “lime”/” lime paste”.

As you can see, Latin has two identical nouns (CALX) that however are different in the gender and in the meaning, just like in Italian  language that is the closest to the Latin spoken by the Ancient Romans.

Hope this is clear enough.
Best regards,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria