Italian Language/indirect object pronoun

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the following sentence:
“Spero che tutto ti sia chiaro.”

Would you please tell me if the following is a correct literal translation:
“I hope that all is clear to you.”

Can you also please help me to understand the use of “ti” in this sentence.

Is “ti” being used as an indirect object pronoun that translates as “to you”?

If “yes”, can you please verify for me that an indirect object pronoun can be used in a sentence that uses a linking verb.

I am asking this question because in the past, I thought that indirect object pronouns could only be used with a transitive or an intransitive verb.   

Would I be now correct to say that an indirect object pronoun can be used in a sentence that has a transitive, intransitive, or a linking verb (such as sia)?  

Thank you very much.  I very much appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

In the sentence “Spero che tutto ti sia chiaro” literally meaning “I hope that all is clear to you” the  pronominal  particle “ti” (2nd.person singular) is  being used as an indirect object pronoun that translates exactly as “to you”, since “ti” stands for “a te”, as in “Spero che tutto sia chiaro a te”.

In Italian in fact we can use the pronominal particles MI, TI, CI, VI instead of “a me”, “a te”, “a noi”, “a voi”, in sentences like e.g. “Egli mi disse” (Egli disse a me), “Ti parlai apertamente(Parlai apertamente a te), “Ci raccontarono quanto era successo”( Raccontarono a noi quanto era successo), “Vi dirò tutto” (Dirò tutto a voi).

As you can see, an indirect object pronoun can be used in a sentence that uses a linking verb, like “to be” or “to seem” followed by an adjective like “chiaro” or any other adjective.

See, for example, the phrase “Mi sembra evidente che tu non mi credi” where the first  indirect object pronouns “mi” (a me) depends on “sembra evidente” (linking verb + the adjective), while the second “mi” (a me) depends on the intransitive verb “credere”.
See also “Il postino mi ha  appena consegnato  la tua lettera” where “mi” (a me) depends on the transitive verb “consegnare”.

To sum up, you are  correct in  saying  that an indirect object pronoun can be used in a sentence that has a transitive, intransitive, or a linking verb (such as ‘sia’).

Best regards,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria