Italian Language/use of "conoscerti"

Dear Maria,

Thank you very much for your help.

Thanks, to your great explanation, I now understand why the preposition “di” must be included in the sentence: “… mi pare quasi di conoscerti …”  Thank you very, very much for helping me to understand!!!!

I also need to ask you why “ conoscerti” must be in the infinitive form in Italian but is translated into English as the first person singular form – “it seems to me I almost  know you”

Can you please explain why a person would not say -  “mi pare quasi ti conosco”  (it seems to me I almost know you)

Thank you

Dear Rich,

glad to have helped you.

As for the phrase “Mi pare quasi ti conosco”  instead of  the correct sentence “Mi pare quasi di conoscerti”, I have to tell you  that “Mi pare quasi ti conosco”  is nothing but the literal translation of the English phrase “It seems to me I almost know you”, that however cannot be literally translated into Italian, since each language has its own set of rules that are almost always  different.

So, in Italian  the verb “parere” takes the preposition “di” before the infinitive mood when the person, to whom the action  of the verb “parere” is addressed, is the same as the subject of the following infinitives (present or past).
In fact, in "Mi pare di averlo giŕ visto" the indirect object "Mi" (1st.person singular pronoun particle)refers not only to the person to whom the action  of the verb “parere” is addressed but also to the subject of "di averlo visto", as I’ve already said in my previous answer.

Therefore you should reread my answer regarding the use of "di" after "mi pare" where there are many examples that can be helpful to you so that you can understand why a person could not say correctly-  “mi pare quasi ti conosco”.

All the best,

Italian Language

Italian is my mother tongue and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning Italian Language.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: