Italian Language/use of "di" after "mi pare"

Question
Dear Maria,

Thank you very much for your help with this question.

I am sorry that I do not understand what you mean be:  “the preposition “di” depends on “mi pare”

Please excuse my inability to understand this point.  I think this is difficult for me to understand  because the preposition “di” is not included in the English translation:

mi pare  =  it seems to me
quasi  =  almost
di  =  ?
conoscerti  =  to know you

Therefore, the preposition “di” is required in the Italian sentence, but I have no way of understanding why this is so.  Can you please explain to me under what circumstances the verb parere must be followed by the preposition “di”.

Thank you, again, for all of your very great help and also for your patience with my struggles to understand Italian.   

Also, please know how much I appreciate the opportunity to study and learn from these sentences.  I am very fortunate for this great opportunity.

Very Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

when I said that  the preposition “di” depended  on  the verb “mi pare”, I meant that it is just the verb “parere” that requires the preposition “di” before the infinitive “conoscerti”.

For example,we say:
-“Mi pare di averlo visto” (I think I saw him);
-“Mi pare di averlo già incontrato”(It seems that I have met him already); -“Gli pareva di aver ragione”(He  thought he was right);
-“Ci pareva di sognare” (We seemed to be dreaming);
-“Le parve d'aver visto qualcosa”(She thought she had seen something), etc.

As you can see, in all the above-mentioned sentences the person, to whom the action  of the verb “parere” is addressed, is the same as the subject of the following infinitives (present or past), since e.g. in "Mi pare di averlo già visto" the word "Mi" (1st.person singular pronoun particle) is the person to whom the action  of the verb “parere” is addressed as well as the subject of "di averlo visto".

To clarify this, I can specify that "Mi pare di averlo già visto" stands for "Io credo che io l'ho già visto".

It is just in this case that the verb “parere” takes the preposition “di” before the infinitive.

But, when the subject of the verb “parere” is not  the same as the subject of the following sentence, there is not the preposition “di”.

For example: “Parrebbe che io abbia torto” ( it would seem that I am wrong);"Pare che egli abbia sbagliato tutto"; etc.

As for the reason why the preposition “di” is not included in the English translation, it depends on the different grammar rules so that e.g. we say “leggere” in the infinitive, whereas in English it is correct to say “to read” with the preposition “to” used before a verb to indicate the infinitive as in “ I'd like to go” that in Italian would be “Vorrei andare” without any preposition before the infinitive “andare”.

In short:Mi pare = it seems to me; quasi = almost; di=to; conoscerti = know you.

To conclude, I really hope to have helped you  to understand  under what circumstances the verb “parere” must be followed by the preposition “di”.
Feel free however to ask me again.

All the best,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria