Italian Language/use of

Question
QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Can you please explain to me why the demonstrative adjective “questa” has been included in the following sentence:

Un’ultima annotazione:  in questa mia risposta ti sto dando del “tu” anziché del “Lei” ….
(One last comment: in this my response I have given you the “tu”  rather than the “Lei”

Can you also please tell me if “questa” could be omitted as in:

Un’ultima annotazione:  nella mia risposta ti sto dando del “tu” anziché del “Lei” ….
(One last comment: in my response I have given you the “tu”  rather than the “Lei”

Thank you very much for your kind help.

Sincerely,

Rich

ANSWER: Dear Rich,

In the sentence “Un’ultima annotazione: in questa mia risposta ti sto dando del “tu” anziché del “Lei” ….” I’ve used “questa mia”, i.e. the demonstrative followed by the possessive simply because I wanted to emphasize the noun “risposta”.
I certainly could have said “Un’ultima annotazione: nella mia risposta ti sto dando del “tu” anziché del “Lei” ….”, but the sentence would have sound more banal than “in questa mia risposta...”.
In short, this is a matter of style that depends on tastes in writing.
Best regards,
Maria

QUESTION: Dear Maria,

Thank you for your help with this question.

Can you please tell me if the grammatical classification “determiner” exists in Italian grammar.  If yes, can you also please tell me if demonstratives, possessives, and articles are types of determiners in Italian grammar.

I am also wondering why the definite article is not included before the possessive adjective in the following sentence:

(One last comment: in this my response I have given you the “tu”  rather than the “Lei”)

Is it possible, depending on the particular sentence and context, that demonstrative determiners such as “questa” can take the place of the definite article that is normally required before possessive adjectives?

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the grammatical classification “determiner” does not  exist in Italian grammar.

With regard to the reason why the definite article is not included before the possessive adjective in the sentence “Un’ultima annotazione:in questa mia risposta ti sto dando del “tu” anziché del “Lei” …...”, please note that in Italian the demonstrative adjectives “questo”  & ”quello” take the place of the definite article that is normally required before possessive adjectives.

For example :“Quella vostra risposta mi stupì molto”, “Non mi aspettavo questa tua reazione”, “Questi nostri giorni felici sono volati via in un baleno”,"Quei suoi atteggiamenti sono discutibili", but “La vostra risposta mi stupì molto”,“Non mi aspettavo la tua reazione”, ”I nostri giorni felici sono volati via in un baleno” and "I suoi atteggiamenti sono discutibili" etc.

Best regards,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria