Italian Language/use of "come" to say "as"

Question
Dear Maria,

Will you please tell me if “come” (as) is being used as a subordinating conjunction in the following sentence:

In conclusione, io credo che i tuoi dubbi nascano dal fatto che in Inglese si usa il plurale “mountains” più frequentemente del singolare “mountain”, anche se in Italiano c’è il singolare, come per esempio in “I spent the summer in the mountains” for “Ho trascorso l’estate in montagna”; “I really love the mountains” (Amo molto la montagna);“Do you prefer the seaside or the mountains?” (Preferisci il mare o la montagna?).

If it is true that “come” is a subordinating conjunction in this sentence, can you also please tell me if this use of “come” is further classified as a “dichiarative” subordinating conjunction.

I am trying to understand why “come” is used to express “as” in this sentence.

Thank you

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

“come” (as) is being used just as a subordinating conjunction in the sentence: “In conclusione, io credo che i tuoi dubbi nascano dal fatto che in Inglese si usa il plurale “mountains” più frequentemente del singolare “mountain”, anche se in Italiano c’è il singolare, COME  per esempio in “I spent the summer in the mountains” for “Ho trascorso l’estate in montagna”.

Please note that “ COME  per esempio in...” is an elliptic phrase where there is the omission of the verb which is understood, since “COME  per esempio in...” stands for “COME  per esempio [accade] in...” so that the subordinating conjunction  COME introduces a clause we call “proposizione modale”.

See also:” Lei ha fatto COME tu hai voluto” ( She did AS you wanted) ,”Tutto è andato  COME loro  speravano”( Everything went AS they hoped), “E’ meglio lasciare le cose  COME stanno” (It’s better to leave things AS they are ), etc.

To conclude, in “COME  per esempio in... “ COME  is a subordinating conjunction  classified as a “modale” subordinating conjunction , not as   a “dichiarativa” subordinating conjunction,since COME is a “dichiarativa” subordinating conjunction in e.g. “Tutti sanno  COME  talvolta sia  facile ingannare il prossimo” (everyone knows THAT  sometimes it can be  easy to  cheat our neighbour).

As you can see, COME as a “modale” subordinating conjunction translates as AS, while it translates as THAT, when it is a “dichiarativa” subordinating conjunction”.

All the best,
Maria

Italian Language

Maria