Italian Language/"dove" and "relative adverbs"

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the use of the relative pronoun  -“la quale” in the following sentence:

A me riesce difficile tradurre la frase N° 4  nella quale Piero usa le congiunzioni  “but” e “however”.  
[I am having an especially difficult time translating sentence 4 in which Piero uses the words -  “invece” and “però”.]

I am also wondering why it is not also incorrect to use “dove” as a relative adverb and write:

A me riesce difficile tradurre la frase N° 4  dove Piero usa le congiunzioni  “but” e “however”.  
[I am having an especially difficult time translating sentence 4 where Piero uses the words -  “invece” and “però”]

I am asking because in English it is acceptable to use “where” as a replacement for the more formal structure of “in which”.  I was wondering if this is also acceptable in Italian, or if it is just totally wrong to use “dove” as a relative adverb in this type of sentence.  

If it is totally wrong to use “dove”  - can you please explain why it is not correct.   I am hoping to learn why "dove” should not be used so that I will be better able to apply this lesson to other sentences.

Can you also please tell me if there are any other relative adverbs in Italian in addition to “dove”.  (So far, I have been unsuccessful in finding this information in any of my textbooks or on-line)

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

In Italian too  it is acceptable to use “dove” as a replacement for the more formal structure of “in cui”/”nel quale”/”nella quale”, provided that “dove” indicates a real place such as in “Questa è la casa dove  vivono i miei genitori”, “Restate  dove  siete “,”Ecco dove  è avvenuto l’incidente”, though we can also say:” Questa è la casa in cui/nella quale vivono i miei genitori”, “Restate  nel luogo in cui/nel quale  siete “,”Ecco il luogo in cui/nel quale è avvenuto l’incidente”, ”Ecco la poltrona dove siede di solito”,  “Riprendiamo dal punto dove eravamo rimasti”, etc.

Anyway, when this place is not a real place, but e.g. a sentence as in “A me riesce difficile tradurre la frase N° 4  nella quale  Piero usa le congiunzioni  “but” e “however”, it is better to use the relative pronoun “in cui”(invariable) or ”nel quale”/”nella quale”(variable).

To sum up,  it is not totally wrong to use “dove”, but it is better not to use it, when we are not talking about a real place.

As for other  adverbs in addition to “dove”, there is e.g.“donde” [= “da dove”, ”dal quale” (variable) /da cui”(invariable)] such as in “Donde  venite?” ( whence do you come?”),  “Tornate donde  siete venuti “ (go back where you came from), “Allontanatevi da quel luogo donde (=dal quale/da dove) partiste”, but "donde" is a quite obsolete form.

Best regards,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria