Italian Language/Ci and Vi

Hi Paolin

Are these two words interchangeable when meaning "there"?

And when ci = it, can "vi" be used instead?

Tks & rgds

Hello Joe,

sure "ci" and "vi" are interchangeable in current Italian speaking and writing when meaning "there". So, you can normally say
"Ho deciso di andarci presto"
as well as
"Ho deciso di andarvi presto".
"-ci" is usually preferred in spoken language.

Of course the matter is different when "-ci" or "-vi" are referred to persons!
In fact, "-ci" means "a noi" (to us), while "-vi" means "a voi" (to you; plural form); you will say
"Ho deciso di dirvi la verita'" (I've decided to tell you the truth)
"Ha deciso di dirci la verita'" (He has decided to tell us the truth).

A very common Italian mistake is to use "-ci" to mean "a lui/a loro" (to him/to them; third person singular/plural); I'm sure you will not commit the same error, of course: if you hear Italian people who say that, you will know that they are wrong. You can correct them!  

Italian Language

I read and correct your italian texts, either translations or written compositions. I read or listen to your oral compositions, readings and speechs and help you improve your pronunciation and style. I read and correct also your advertising short and medium texts. I answer questions about Italian language, slang, style, punctuation. I don't answer about dialects and specific local slang.

I'm mother tongue; I graduated at Classic Lyceum (100/100), studying classic Italian language and classic Latin and Greek. The 5 years long daily exercise in translation from ancient Latin and Greek to modern Italian taught me to appreciate a correct italian translation and/or text composition. I graduated at University in Law studies and Jurisprudence, learning to appreciate deep differences between a strictly specific and technical language and other styles. I'm currently PhD candidate in Philosophy of Law. I read fiction, classic novels, philosophical books and papers, legal books and papers.

Read more about Italian -

Italian mother tongue; diploma at Liceo Classico (100/100; year 2001); Laurea at University (110/110 cum laude; year 2008); PhD in Law: Philosophy of Law and Sociology of Law