Italian Language/Disjunctive vs indirect pronouns

Question
Hi
Can I answer
'Did you like the book?'
With either
S, me lo piace
Or
S, lo piace a me?
I seem to be confused with indirect object pronoun, ie objects the verb 'did something TO' and the disjunctive pronouns where you can slip in the preposition 'a' before the pronoun
Maggie

Answer
Hi Maggie,

Thanks for your question. In this case, the answer would simply be si mi piaciuto.

It can be very hard for an English speaker to understand this structure as it is very different to that which we learn so really instead of thinking of the answer as 'I like', you should actually think of it as 'it pleases me'.

Therefore, mi piace is simply 'it pleases me.' This is used for singular items such as words with the articles il or la. Any items in the plural (using articles i, le or gli for example) will take the structure mi piacciano which is literally 'they please me.'

In the example you have given me, the question is being asked in the past tense - did you like. Therefore, we must also respond in the past tense using the verb 'essere'. The answer would thus be mi piaciuto (literally it has pleased me). Again, if we were asked if we liked the books, we would answer 'mi sono piaciuti' as this is a plural item.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan