Italian Language/Present Conditional

Dear Maria,  

Would you please tell me if I have correctly translated the following forms of the Present Conditional:

scriverei   I would write

scriveresti   you would write

scriverebbe   you would write

scriverebbe   he,  she,  it  would write

scriveremmo   we would write

scrivereste   you would write

scriverebbero   you would write

scriverebbero   they would write

avrei      I would have

avresti      you would have

avrebbe          you would have

avrebbe          he,  she,  it would have

avremmo          we would have

avreste      you would have

avrebbero   you would have

avrebbero   they would have

Thank you very much.

Dear Rich,

you have correctly translated the  forms of the Present Conditional.
The only remark I have to make is that “scriverebbe”” and “avrebbe” mean  “you would write” and “you would have “ respectively, only when they are used in  addressing to a  person you are not familiar with (the “lei” form) as in e.g.: “Avrebbe un libro per me?”(Would you have ...),”Scriverebbe un romanzo per la mia casa editrice?” (Would you write...), “Lei avrebbe tutti i vantaggi, se....” (You would have...).

As for the 3rd.person plural “avrebbero” and “scriverebbero”, we use them only in the meaning of “they would have” or “they would write”, not in the meaning of “you would have” or “you would write”, since the use of the 3rd.person plural in the “loro” form is not so common.

For example, “Loro avrebbero la cortesia di seguirmi?” or “Loro si accomodino, prego!” are obsolete forms by now and are often replaced by “Avreste la cortesia di seguirmi?” and “Accomodatevi, prego!”, both in the 2nd.person plural.

Best regards,

Italian Language

Italian is my mother tongue and I'll be glad to answer any questions concerning Italian Language.

Over 25 years teaching experience.

I received my Classics (summa cum laude) from Genova University (Italy).

This expert accepts donations: