Italian Language/sto

Question
What is the translation and usage of "sto","sta" and "stai"? I see these pronouns usually in connection with greetings but I can not figure out the differences of them.
Thank you.

Answer
Dear Michael,

These are, actually, forms of the verb STARE (to be, to stay, remain, stand, be situated, live...)

"Sto" is the form of the First Person Singular of the Present Tense, "stai" is of the Second and "sto" of the Third Person.

Examples:

Io sto bene.- I'm good. I'm feeling good.

Together with the adverb "per"+ infinitivo,it  means "to be about to":

Sto per telefonare a Pierro. - I am about to call Pierro/Peter.

Hope this helps!

Best regards,
Jelena.  

Italian Language

Jelena