Italian Language/translations and use of "di"

Question
Dear Maria,

Would you please tell me if I have translated the following two sentences correctly:
[1]
Mi riferisco alla mia partenza.
I refer to my departure.

[2]  
Insomma, l’aggettivo “migliore”, usato come comparativo, viene quasi sempre posto dopo il nome al quale si riferisce, anche se può capitare di trovarlo prima del nome.
In short, the adjective “migliore”, used like a comparative, is almost always placed after the noun to which it refers, even if you can happen to find it before the noun.

I was also wondering why the preposition “di” has been placed between “capitare” and “trovarlo” in sentence #2.  Can you please tell me if I am correct in thinking that the verb “capitare” requires the preposition “di” before an infinitive.

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

the translation of the  sentence “Mi riferisco alla mia partenza” is correct, while the translation of “Insomma, l’aggettivo “migliore”, usato come comparativo, viene quasi sempre posto dopo il nome al quale si riferisce, anche se può capitare di trovarlo prima del nome” contains a mistake, i.e. “you can happen” instead of the correct form “it can happen”.

So, you should have written:” In short, the adjective “migliore”, used like a comparative, is almost always placed after the noun to which it refers, even if it can happen to find it before the noun”.

As for the preposition “di” which has been placed between “capitare” and “trovarlo” in sentence #2,  you are correct in thinking that  “capitare”, when used as an impersonal verb, requires the preposition “di” before an infinitive, as in "Se ti capita di vederla, salutala da parte mia","Mi capitò di perdere il treno".

All the best,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria