Italian Language/use of: "esso" "essa" "essi" and "esse"

Dear Maria,  

Sorry to bother you again with another question.  But, I was wondering if you could help me with the following.  

In a recent answer to one of my questions you explained to me that the use of “esso” and “essa” to express “it” is becoming obsolete.

First of all, can you also tell me if this is also true for the plural forms “essi” and “esse”.   
Are “essi” (they) and “esse” (they) also becoming obsolete?

Even more importantly, I was wondering what subject pronoun is now used to express “it” and “they” (since  - “esso”, “essa”, “essi”, and “esse” are no longer being used).

Can you please tell me how to express “it” and “they” in Italian.

Thank you.

Rich, there is no "it" in Italian, because everything has a gender. So if you must use a pronoun, you will use either lei or lui as subjects, or the various other direct and indirect object pronouns as appropriate.
"They" is simply "loro" for either masculine or femminine.
If you have specific examples of usage that you want to ask about, as always feel free to send to me...

Italian Language

Chris Platamone

I can answer all basic to advanced grammar questions. Italian is not my native tongue, but I have an excellent handle on all things grammatical and can help people bridge the gap between English and Italian by teaching Italian grammar from the English-speaker's point of view.

I attended school in Florence, Italy for 1 and a half years.

I am already an expert on is a new application because my email address has changed.

I have published a translation of a short story in an anthology of Italian women writers, and I have had a letter published on the web site of Italian journalist Beppe Severgnini.

Bachelor's degree, Italian language and literature, San Francisco State University, 1984. Secondary Teaching Credential, San Francisco State University, 1990.

I have taught hundreds of students in both high school and adult education classes over the past 18 years.