Italian Language/use of "sempre"

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the placement of the adverb of time “sempre” (always) in relation to the verb it modifies.

Would you please tell me if the following is correct or not:

[1]  “Sempre” is always placed after the verb it modifies.
Example:  “Lui lavora sempre …”  (He always works …)

[2]  “Sempre” is always placed between the auxiliary verb and the past participle when used to modify a compound tense verb.
Examples:  “Esso è sempre situato …” (It is always placed …)  
         “Io sono sempre andato …” (I always went …)

Thank you very much.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich

generally speaking, the placement of the adverb of time “sempre” (always) in relation to the verb it modifies is just as you say, i.e.:[1] “Sempre” is always placed after the verb it modifies.Example:  “Lui lavora sempre …”  (He always works …) and [2]  “Sempre” is always placed between the auxiliary verb and the past participle when used to modify a compound tense verb. Examples:  “Esso è sempre situato …” (It is always placed …) ,  “Io sono sempre andato …” (I always went …).

Anyway, we can also use “sempre” in a different placement when e.g. we want to emphasize it as in “D’ora in poi, staremo  insieme, sempre” instead of “D’ora in poi, staremo sempre  insieme”,  or in “Abbiamo  avuto sempre  bel tempo quest’estate” instead of “Abbiamo sempre  avuto bel tempo quest’estate”.

In short, the placement of the adverb “sempre” sometimes depends on  the speaker’s choice and the sense of a sentence.

Best,

Maria

Italian Language

Maria