Italian Language/translation

Dear Lauren,

Would you please tell me if I have correctly translated the following sentence:

Prendo i peperoni verdi, gli taglio via le cime, li pulisco, dopodichè li riempo con le acciughe.
I take the green peppers, I cut the tops off them, I clean them, after which I stuff them with anchovies.

I had an especially difficult time translating – “gli taglio via le cime”.  I am thinking that “gli” is an indirect object pronoun that means “them” and that “taglio via” comes from the verb “tagliare via” which, I think, means “to cut off”.  Can you please tell me if this is correct.

Thank you very much.

Hi Rich,

Well done! You have got this translation spot on :)

The 'gli' in 'gli taglio' is being used as an indirect object pronoun meaning 'them' (i.e. the green peppers)and 'taglio via does come from the verb 'to cut off'.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan