Italian Language/use of indirect object pronoun - "loro"

Question
Dear Lauren,

My question is about the indirect object pronoun – “loro”.

Can you please tell me if the indirect object pronoun “loro” is always invariable.  

I was wondering if “loro” would ever be inflected as “lora”.

For example, if I wanted to say -  “I gave them the books” referring to a group of women, should I say -   “Ho dato loro i libri”  or  “Ho dato lora i libri.”

Thank you.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Hi Rich,

To answer your question, 'loro' is never inflected. It will invariably remain as 'loro' regardless of if you are referring to a group of women or a group of men. Therefore, you should still say 'ho dato loro i libri' even if it is just women that you are referring to.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,
Lauren

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan