Italian Language/use and meaning of - "mettere in conserva"

Dear Lauren,

Would you please help me to understand the following:
“mettere in conserva”

I am thinking that this means “preserve” and has something to do with preserving food.

Is “mettere in conserva” used as a verb -  as in “to preserve” or as a noun  - as in “preserves”?

I have also seen “mettere in conserva” preceded by the preposition “da:” as in”
“Quando preparo i pepperoni da mettere in conserva uso i vecchi barattoli di foggia.”

Can you please tell me what is the purpose and meaning of “da” in this sentence.

Thank you.

p.s.  I want to wish you a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year as well as thank you, once again, for the many times you have helped me this past year.

Hi Rich,

To answer your question, yes 'mettere in conserva' does mean to preserve in its verb form. The noun for 'preserves' is 'conserva' on its own.

When 'da' is added before a verb, not just with 'mettere', it slightly changes its meaning to 'so as.' Therefore the translation of that sentence would be, 'when I prepare pepperoni, so as to preserve it I use the old canned peppers from Foggia (Foggia being with a capital letter as it is a place in Puglia)

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

P.S Thank you Rich. Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to you and all your family too!

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan