Italian Language/use and meaning of: "ricambio di cuori"

Dear Lauren,

Would you please help me to understand the meaning and use of the phrase:  “ricambio di cuore” that is used in the following sentence:

“Voglio ringraziarti molto dei tuoi auguri che ho gradito molto e che ricambio di cuore.”

I am thinking that this sentence would be translated as:
“I want to thank you very much for your greetings that I appreciated very much and that I heartily return.”

Can you please tell me if this translation is correct, or if here is a better say to translate this sentence.

I did a lot of research trying to understand the phrase “ricambio di cuori”.  I could not really find a good explanation of its meaning.

I am thinking that “ricambio” is the first person singular form of the verb “ricambiare” (to return) and that “di cuori” is an adverbial phrase meaning “heartily” or “sincerely”.  Can you please tell me if this is correct or not.  I keep thinking that I must be missing something in the sense of the meaning of this phrase.

Thank you so much.  I really appreciate your help.

Hi Rich,

Yes you are absolutely correct in your translation. However I would word it slightly differently just so it flows better in English:
I want to thank you very much for your greetings. I really appreciate them and send them back/return them from the bottom of my heart.

'Ricambio' does comes from the verb 'ricambiare' meaning 'to return' or 'to exchange.' In this sense, I felt it would be appropriate to translate it as 'send back' being a more informal way of using 'return'.

As for 'di cuore', it is a metaphorical usage of the word meaning something that is sincerely felt or heartfelt. If we wanted to really restructure the sentence, we could have said something like 'and my heartfelt greetings in return' but in order to keep the same structure, I thought that 'from the bottom of my heart' also fitted quite nicely and also makes you of an equivalent English metaphor.

It must be said that 'di cuore' is quite frequently used in Italian particularly with 'grazie' to mean 'thank you from the bottom of my heart'.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan