Italian Language/use of preposition "a"

Question
Dear Maria,

My question is about the following sentence:
“Tutti a tavola a mangiare.”

Would you please tell me if the following translation is correct:
“Everyone to the table to eat.”

I was wondering why the preposition “a” has been placed before the verb “mangiare”. Is it possible to use the preposition “per” to “express intention” and say:  “Tutti a tavola per mangiare”.

Or, must the preposition “a” be used?  If “yes” – is this because either the verb “andare” or “venire” is implied in this sentence as in saying:  “Tutti vadano a tavola a mangiare”  or  “Tutti vengano a tavola a mangiare”.

Can you also please tell me if I am correct in thinking that “tutti” is an indefinite pronoun in this sentence that is translated as “everyone”.

Thank you so much for all of your help with this sentence.  

Very Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

your translation is correct.
As for the preposition “a” before the verb “mangiare” in “Tutti a tavola a mangiare”, it is more correct than “per”  in “Tutti a tavola per mangiare” that sounds not so well.

In fact, either the verb “andare” or “venire” is implied in this sentence as in saying:  “Tutti vadano a tavola a mangiare”  or  “Tutti vengano a tavola a mangiare”.

Lastly, you are correct in thinking that “tutti” is an indefinite pronoun in this sentence.

All the best,

Maria  

Italian Language

Maria