Italian Language/to walk

Dear Lauren,  

I’m still working on “andare a piedi” vs “camminare”.

Can you please tell me how one would say:   “ I walked fast to work.”

I’m not sure which verb to use because “going to work” is a specific, non-casual  destination which means that “andare a piedi” should be  used, but I’ve also added the adverb “fast” which is not used with “andare a piedi”.

I’m sorry – I don’t mean to be difficult.  Sometimes, I wonder why these questions even occur to me.   But, once they do, I can’t rest until I know.

Thank you again for all of your help.

Hi Rich,

In this case, as you will be adding an adverb to describe the way in which you walked to work, I would use the verb 'camminare' as you are specifically asking 'how or in what way did you walk to work.'

Therefore, the answer would be : ho camminato veloce al lavoro.

You may combine the two in a conversation by when asked how you got to work, replying, "Sono andato a piedi e ho camminato veloce."

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan