Italian Language/subjunctive and "che"

Question
Dear Paolin,

My question is about the following sentence:
“Spero non ti dispiaccia.”

Would you please tell me if the following translation is correct:
“I hope it is not displeasing to you.”

Would you also please tell me if the verb “dispiaccia” is in the subjunctive verb mood.

If “yes”, I am wondering why the subordinating conjunction “che” has not been included before the subjunctive as in:  “Spero che non ti dispiaccia”

Would you please explain why “che” has not been included.  I thought that the subjunctive was always preceded by a subordinating conjunction.

Thank you very much.  I very much appreciate your help.

Sincerely,

Rich

Answer
Dear Rich,

you are totally right. The most proper and correct expression would be
"Spero che non ti dispiaccia".
You have understood the right meaning of the sentence and you have caught pretty well the "che" matter.
The expression you quoted, without the "che" conjunction, is a very common expression and therefore it has now become part of the current Italian language. If somebody uses such expressions, he will not really be "wrong". Anyway, it's still more correct, appropriate and elegant to use the right expression with the "che" subordinating conjunction. The reasons are simple even though not so easy to understand, but I see that the topic was already clear to you. Good!

Italians are often unprecise about this "che" conjunction. We often forget the difference between direct object as a subordinate noun phrase or as a subordinate verbal phrase. Here is another interesting case: the expression nonostante . It means "notwithstanding". It can be used as a conjunction with a noun:
"nonostante la pioggia, uscirono per giocare" - "They went out to play notwithstanding the rain"
but it can also be used with a verbal phrase:
"nonostante che piovesse , uscirono per giocare" - "They went out to play in spite of the fact that it was raining".
As you can see, here it comes again the matter you had correctly noticed: somebody will say "nonostante piovesse"; this kind of mistake is mild and commonly tolerated, but it actually is a mistake. I agree with you and I'm happy to know that you don't share this bad habit with so many of us Italian speakers. Don't change your thought about this matter: it's fully right.

Thank you for the interesting question, Rich, good bye,

Paolin

Italian Language

Paolin