Italian Language/double object pronouns

Dear Lauren,

Can you please explain to me why the double object pronoun is attached to the end of “potere” in the following:

“potervela far conoscere”

All of my reference books say that double object pronouns either attaches to the end of the infinitive or precede the conjugated verb when the infinitive is preceded by dovere, potere, or volere as in - “vogglio presentartela”, or “te la voglio presentare”

Can you also please tell me if the following translation is correct:
potervela far conoscere  =  to introduce her to you

Thank you very much.

Hi Rich,

As your reference books correctly state, when you have an infinitive verb, the double object pronouns will always become attached to the end of the infinitive. One must always remember to drop the “e” from the infinitive verb in this case and add both object pronouns to the end.

However, when you have a modal verb beforehand in its infinitive form such as dovere, potere or volere, then the double object pronouns must always be attached to this verb rather than the infinitive that follows.

This is simply a rule of the Italian language and must always be abided in order to ensure that your Italian sounds natural. You could add the direct objects onto the end of the second infinitive but this would sound clumsy to a native ear.

Some other examples may include:
volertela dare - to want to give it to you
non credo di doverglielo dire - I don't think I have to tell him/her about it

The translation you have given is correct 'to introduce her to you' but if you really wanted to stress the use of 'potere', you could say 'to be able to introduce her to you'. Otherwise, 'to introduce her to you' could simply be expressed by 'farvela conoscere'.

Hope this helps,
Kind regards,

Italian Language

Lauren O' Hagan

Although not my mother tongue, I have spoken Italian fluently for more than 12 years so I am very confident to answer any questions about the Italian language. I am also competent in Roman Dialect if there are any questions relating to this.

MA Applied Linguistics First Class Honours in Modern Language Studies (Linguistics, Italian, Spanish) Received the top grade in the whole of UK for GCSE Italian, receiving a letter of congratulations from the Italian Consulate Completed my two-year A Level in 1 year with a grade A country. Carried out many translation jobs for a wide range of clients and topics including self-help, literature and exam papers. For personal reference, I have also translated Federico Moccia's Tre Metri Sopra Il Cielo and 2 of Francesco Totti's book.

El Pensador, University of Bristol

See expertise section

Letter of recognition from the Italian consulate MA Applied Linguistics BA Hons Modern Language Studies CELTA qualified C1 CILS C2 DELE

ZigZag Education Ultimate Lifestyle Project Victor Lujan